• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help

hey guys yesterday my kh hit a massive spike I did a 20 percent water change and still hasn’t gone down at all
Any suggestions on what to do ???

TEST TEST TEST. As I’m sure most are aware. We only think we keep fish or coral. We actually maintain WATER. We are not biologists. We are chemists. Tank water is filled with a load of items that are at the precipice of saturation. If something gets low then something else is likely high. In some bizarre quest to reach saturation. When it doubt... test it out. Something is not in balance. I agree with myrjon Calcium is the most likely culprit. But if your like me and didn’t graduate from MIT. TEST TEST TEST

Also from what I understand magnesium helps keep alk and calcium in balance. If mag is off it can throw either/both off

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I had a similar issue when my DIY ALK dripper broke and dumped plenty in ATO. Calcium was fine but ALK was just as high. I tried a few partial WC and went down a little. Eventually I just waited until it was absorbed monitoring CAIL and ALK weekly. No ill affects on critters.

God luck.