• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HELP

I got home from work this moring and saw my pride and joy 150 reef tank temp on my chiller reading 71 degrees. The heater is set at 78 degrees. The dam thing broke less than year old 100 bucks down the drain. I have sps and lps fish and inverts the coral seems to be expaning the fish look stressed. I'm i at risk for loosing everything. I have a back up heater at set it at 77 i do not want to jump the temp to much . any hting else I can do once again thanks guys

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just bringing the temperature up over the course of the day will be your best defense. You'd be surprised at how much of your tank will be just fine. Better that it died off and not died stuck on. That is just about always catestrophic.

while 71 is low, not sure that it is critical.... i know a drop in water temp can encourage ick, not sure if 71 is low enough to make you worry bout that though

where does everyone keep there temp at. i keep mine hovering 74-78 range except in the summer it goes up to the lower 80s. is 74 too low. 71 isn't that far from 74. i only have softies and a few lps.

i try to keep my temp at 77 78 all the time just bought a nice chiller for real cheap. It practically was given to me for what it really cost.

yea always good to have a backup 100 watt heater to compliment a primary , just incase something like this happens. Either that or you could use the heather in the mix water you make every month . ( If you have one )

71 is nothing. I have had my tank come down to 72 and there be no issue. Normally run it at 74-76 in the winter (no heater) and 79-81 in the summer (no chiller)

Letting the tank get cool is less of an issue than running too hot. Now if your tank was in the 85 range, that is an issue, cooler is good.

As everyone said, raise it slow and you would be amazed as to what temps the corals can withstand on the cool side.

Cool is good, hot is BAD!

Ive actually had my tank drop down to 72 because my heater plug came out of the socket when i was toying around underneath the tank... Everything turned out to be fine... All you have to do is slowly bring up the temp over the course of the day which was already mentioned above... I normally keep my tank at around 82 degrees all year long so believe me I experienced a rather large decrease and everything turned out ok...

Brian

Brizjuan said:
Ive actually had my tank drop down to 72 because my heater plug came out of the socket when i was toying around underneath the tank... Everything turned out to be fine... All you have to do is slowly bring up the temp over the course of the day which was already mentioned above... I normally keep my tank at around 82 degrees all year long so believe me I experienced a rather large decrease and everything turned out ok...

Brian

Hey Brian, please pad your posts in another forum on the site.

Some of us watch the Emergency forum through e-mail notifications to help reefers who really need help real time.

I hope you get enough posts to so you can post in the For Sale Forum soon! ;)