• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hidden Fence anyone?

Was just wondering if anyone here has a hidden fence, aka electronic pet containment? I just had the hidden fence installed today and have begun training. I did a lot of research prior and am pretty happy with the fact that the ASPCA approves the brand I had installed. I would appreciate any tips or things to avoid from those who may have, or had one. Pros and cons please. I have two Pugs, one ****zu and a Bernese Mountain dog.

Tom

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We had Huskies in an invisible fence (run along a physical fence). How well it works depends largely on your breed. Be careful not to let them roam (with or without collars) until they're well trained though or you risk scaring the bejiggers out of them for what seems like an eternity.

Our huskies were particularly head strong (as is so common with the breed) and even with a physical fence, my male was constantly testing the system. With the amount of fur he had we to have extra and extra long prongs on the collars.

Our TV used to set them off. We had to take care to remove them immediately upon coming back into the house (and not to carry them touching both prongs).

Good training is critical to your success.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Consistency is key, we slacked off after a few months...the dogs were being so good without them we just left the collars off...well, now they have no idea where the boundaries are anymore and when we put the collars on them now, they just sit on the steps and don't move.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I put that fence in my yard My schnauzer does great with it. but my sister in laws Lab runs right thru it here but at her house he is fine.
training the dog to know the boundaries is key...

Depends on the dogs. I had a rottie and a boston. The boston learned that if he could deal with the zap, he was free. So he'd line up, get the nerve, start running, jump, yelp and be home free. The rottie must have watched him and one day decided to just run through it.

For us it was the biggest waste of $ ever.
Now I wish we had a regular fence or at least a dog run.
It worked for a while but then the dogs wouldn't leave the stairs; they were afraid. Plus after some landscaping work the cable was broken.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
120gallons said:
he'd line up, get the nerve, start running, jump, yelp and be home free

My big goofy lab, even after being properly trained, decided he was going to go play with the neighbors dog regardless of the pain. He knew where the fence was and would start to yelp even before he got close when he decided he was going for it. We ended up getting a collar with 4 longer prongs and a bit more kick. He tried it one more time after that. Only once.

I shouldn't say it was the biggest waste of $ ever. At one of our NYE parties a few guys put the collars on and went over the line a few times. Seeing that was worth every penny.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
debfife said:
I shouldn't say it was the biggest waste of $ ever. At one of our NYE parties a few guys put the collars on and went over the line a few times. Seeing that was worth every penny.

OUCH!! I wouldn't have done that for all the money in the world. I've never been that drunk. Yikes. I did hold it in my hand and get zapped (to be sure I knew what the dogs were being exposed to), but beyond that? No way.

We broke that wire more times than I could count, luckily it is easily repaired (once you find the break).

Beer muscles ;D ;D

Phyl said:
debfife said:

OUCH!! I wouldn't have done that for all the money in the world. I've never been that drunk. Yikes. I did hold it in my hand and get zapped (to be sure I knew what the dogs were being exposed to), but beyond that? No way.

We broke that wire more times than I could count, luckily it is easily repaired (once you find the break).

The neighbor had one
When it snowed a few years ago the dog was out and they never saw it again.
I would be careful when there is snow on the ground

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Snow? Power failure I understand, but snow is throwing me for a loop.

I must admit that I have already crossed the boundaries with the collar in hand. lol. What the majority seems to say is, training and consistency. My main concern was the Bernese Mountain dog because he will grow so large.(At 6 months he's already 70 pounds) However, the trainer says because they are such a timid breed he will avoid the boundaries more than my smaller dogs.

Personally I think anyone that puts in a fence like that should test it them self
before the dog gets zapped..If you can put that collar on your kids why put it on
your pets?

roncgizmo said:
Personally I think anyone that puts in a fence like that should test it them self
before the dog gets zapped..If you can put that collar on your kids why put it on
your pets?
Hmmmm, maybe because the slight correction the collar gives them is less painful than the grill of a car at 40 mph?

lawman said:
roncgizmo said:
your pets?
Hmmmm, maybe because the slight correction the collar gives them is less painful than the grill of a car at 40 mph?

Are you talking about for the kids or the dogs? they can also be tethered instead of zapped.

roncgizmo said:
lawman said:
roncgizmo said:
your pets?

Are you talking about for the kids or the dogs? they can also be tethered instead of zapped.
Thanks for the input but the jury already came back with the "tethering" verdict.

What Is Tethering?
The Humane Society of the United States defines chaining out or tethering as “the practice of fastening a dog to a stationary object or stake, usually in the owner’s backyard, as a means of keeping the animal under control.” This practice is considered to be very inhumane, as well as posing a potential threat to not only your pet, but also to other animals and to humans, particularly children. Regardless of whether or not you have provided a dog house or some other means of shelter for your pet, staking them outside is a dangerous option that should be avoided at all costs.

Chaining a dog outside is very inhumane. First of all, one must consider the natural instincts of these beautiful animals. Dogs are pack animals and, when we invite them into our homes and take care of them, we become their family; they need daily interaction with us in order to remain healthy and happy. When we take our pets and chain them up outside, it deprives them of their ability to socialize with us as well as forcing them into a form of isolation and punishment, quite often even when they did nothing wrong. When treated in such a fashion, a dog that is normally friendly and well-behaved can often become neurotic or even aggressive when continuously tethered out. Even dogs who are only tethered out for a few hours a day can come to look at being tied out as a form of rejection or punishment.

Dr. Theo Capaldo, past president of Psychologists for the Ethical Treatment of Animals states that, “One way that wolves severely punish a pack member is to ignore the animal. It is highly likely that many dogs experience their prolonged chaining and separation from the rest of the “family/pack” as rejection.” While we may mean well, chaining or tethering a dog outside can often make him feel as if he is being punished. Capaldo also adds that “For dogs, prolonged chaining is emotional abuse.”

Also, it is common for a tethered dog to become entangled around his shelter or other objects in his yard. Numerous dogs, each year, are choked to death when their chains are hung up or become tangled. They unknowingly hang themselves by jumping over gates, dog houses, or off of porches - the numbers are staggering.

While I have not personally used the invisible fence (I have cats, one indoors and one too old/arthritic to venture beyond the backyard), I have known a few people to have accidental escapes even with well trained animals- usually after a good, distracting squirrel or chipmunk chase.

So, as always, I just have to beg all pet owners considering an "invisible fence" to make sure your animal has some form of identification on them, just to be safe.

Lawman, My point is, ******************************** if you don't like
the tether thing then put up a real fence.

"While you point may be valid and you opinions are certainly welcome, we must insist you post in a family & community friendly manner. Post's of an offensive nature may/will be remove, edited, or cause the thread to be closed."