• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HOB refugium opinions

I'm considering adding a HOB refugium to my system, since I don't have room in the sump to add one. Any opinions on makes/models? I am looking for something inexpensive, and I already have a light and pump i think would work. I'm also unclear on how the plumbing works on these things... I've been trying to decifer it from pictures online, but its difficult to see exactly.

Thanks

Red

Red

CPR makes a good product but they can get pricey, especially for the larger models.

Perhaps building your own is an option?

Its a pretty simple design. You have a pump that sits in the main tank and pumps water up into the fuge, it moves over baffles and through macroalgae, then gravity feeds back into the tank.

There are some HOB fuges that have the pump IN the refugium itself and instead of pushing water up into the fuge, it draws it from the main tank...similar to a power filter.

Nothing to it really.