• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HOB Skimmer Problem (Newly Setup)

Hi, I have a Current HOB Protein Skimmer rated for 105 Gallons, and it is just skimming water. I just set it up, and it did skim 1 cup of gunk, but now it is just skimming water.

It is also giving me a cup of water per 3minutes too, how can I stop this, there is this blue turning thing, duno if I Should Turn it? or no

( I posted this here too to see if I could get more help.)

I think the skimmer might still be breaking in?

It is a Current Fission Power Skimmer Contained Chaos...(Weird Name), but that's what it says on the box.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Steve

Your skimming to wet. Turn the knob one way or the other until the water level in the skimmers drops. Then slowly turn the knob the other way until the water level rises to thre bottom of the thing that looks like a inverted cone. Let it run for a little while to see if it's producing a light foam (dry skimming), It should take a while to fill the waste cup. You have to also watch the tank water level. If it drops the skimmer won't work.

Bob

Hi, I turned the valve all the way down, and the skimmer still overflows, I called where I got it from (The Fish Tank) and they didn't help me very much.

Steve - different skimmers will perform...well...differently. All of them have a bit of a break-in period and then eventually you'll find that "Sweet Spot".

I would suggest continuing to monitor the skimmer performance patiently. Do NOT put your bare hands in the tank as the oils from your skin may be causing the skimmer to behave inefficiently. Also, reading the description it says this type of skimmer is impeller driven. Is it possible something is clogging the impeller thereby preventing it from producing the microbubbles?

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!