• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HOB vs. Cabinet

I was hoping to get some various opinions with Pros/Cons on (non drilled tank):

Setup #1
HOB Refugium
Canister Filter w/ overflow mod to grab water from the top
Protein Skimmer

Setup #2
On the side of the tank (no room for underneath)
In Sump Refugium
Protein Skimmer

I was currently going along the lines of option #2 until I was advised that for a 55gal mixed reef...there was too many things to worry about in terms of more flood club membership with that option and #1 was a better option.

Hey mantis32, could you elaborate on a couple of things?

In option #1 is the protein skimmer a HOB or sump model? I'm guessing a HOB by the comments at the bottom.
In option #2 is the protein skimmer a HOB or sump model?
In option #2 what is on the side of the tank?
In option #2 what else is in the sump?

I'm not really sure I fully understand option #2 so I won't comment on that one. In setup #1, I wouldn't use an overflow mod with the canister filter if you are also running a protein skimmer. The logic behind this comment is that the protein skimmer would be better at skimming the surface water while the canister filter could be used to filter out the water column (down a few inches in the tank). This way you have the best of both worlds (surface & water column filtering).

The HOB refugiums work pretty well and are generally flood proof since the water level is an inch or so above your display water line. A simple/small pump sits inside your display tank and pumps water up into the HOB refugium where gravity is used to return the water. Any size refugium is better then none but if possible try and get the biggest/longest one you can. You can also make your own if you are handy with a saw and glue. The only flood proofing to watch out for with the HOB refugium is to make sure your water level inside the tank is low enough to take the "overflow" water from the HOB refugium if the power goes out.

Carlo

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I think option 1 is everything hanging on the back of the tank and option 2 is an entirely seperate tank that he's putting on the side instead of underneath the tank like a lot of people do.

I don't have any room under the tank in the stand to put the sump/refugium, so it would be on the side.

The option #1 would be HOB Skimmer
option #2 is skimmer sump model

option #2
the only thing on the side of the tank is the HOB overflow
in the sump is the refugium, and heater.

In which setup would you be able to use the "best" skimmer and/or overall equipment?

For #2 do you already have a sump and if not were you going to build your own or use a manufacture product? Is so which one (any idea yet)?

How big will the sump be in #2 and what size will the refugium be in the sump? Do you have room for lights to use for the refugium? Will the sump have any additional compartments in it that you would be able to run carbon or other media if needed down the road?

#2 will most likely be the most pleasing to the eye as you won't see a lot of stuff hanging around. I'll say this as a general statement: sump based protein skimmers are usually a lot better then HOB models and pull organics from the water.

Carlo

I was going to buy a 20 gallon tank and set things up myself.
I was going to use the lights from my FW tank for the sump/fuge to start and change it to something better at a later date.

Not sure what size the refugium would be. It would have enough room as it's mainly the skimmer taking up most of the space.

For option #2, I have a Euroreef Es4. For option #1 I haven't bought one yet.
LFS (AquaOb) says that a HOB fuge will do just as good as a sump/fuge.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Well, I don't know about the hot fuge as good as the 20g. A hang on would be lucky to be 5 or 6 gallons, where you can put a lot more life in a 20g.

HOB fuges aren't normally going to have as much room in them for sure. But to me the more important thing is that it's a lot easier to use reverse lighting on the fuge if it's under the tank then on the back of it. Using reverse lighting helps keep the pH more stable.

Obviously you've thought it out and either solution will work. But since you're asking I think I'd lean toward the under cabinet equipment especially since you already have a skimmer for it.

What do others think?

Carlo

I was swayed towards the HOB approach, but after hearing the thoughts here about reverse lighting and having a bigger fuge and already having the equipment...I'm more towards the on the side approach on the floor since I can't fit things underneath. The only thing I'm missing is a 20gal tank. I plan to pick one up this weekend and get building.