• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

how can upi tell if you can drill a tank

i have a 72" long tank 125 gal i think with no center braces ..
i wanted to know if there was a way you can tell if you can drill it
i look all over an cant find anything on the glass ..or any warning like
my 72 gallon bow has ?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's almost impossible for the untrained eye to tell if a glass panel is tempered or not. On newer tanks, usually the bottom is tempered and the sides are not. BUT I CAN NOT GARUNTEE IT!!!! If you drill it and it shatters....it's tempered.

wow .. yea not feeling the hang on over flow ....i know the tank is at least 4 yrs old ..
but i rather play it safe .....

If the tank is an AGA the bottom is temp. and should not be drilled If it is a perfecto(Marineland) tank it is not tempered I found this information out by going to there web sites Most of the aga have a little emblem on the front left as you look at the tank ::) another way to tell the type tank you have is the moding on the top and bottom of the tank, prefecto(marineland)is rounded towards the glass and is about 1 1/4 in height aga is smaller and has a squaried edge. Oceanic has a smaller moding then Perfecto(marineland)but is rounded also this is made by the same company that makes AGA tanks and has a temp. bottom.