• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How do I raise my Alk levels

My misunderstanding of the results of the Reef Chemistry calculator is actually what led me to start this thread. The results informing me of the "product required" of both the baking soda and calcium chloride said to add (x) number of tsps. I thought I needed to add (x) tsps of the two part solutions so to increase the Alk I added (x) tsps of the baking soda water solution and the resulting number of tsps of the calcium chloride solution to increase the CA. My Alk would rise above 7 dKH and the next day it would fall back down to around 6 dKH or so and I didn't understand what was wrong. This problem prompted this thread. After a day or so I realized I needed to add (x) tsps of the baking soda alone (not the solution where it's mixed with water) for Alk and Calcium chloride alone (not the solution where it's mixed with water) to increase the CA. Once I did that I've been ok ever since.

Blange3 - The two pumps I picked up from the GB we spoke about are ideal to dose with. I am getting another to use for my top-offs. Very inexpensive and they servce the purpose. I highly recommend them. They were recommended to me by Carlo. Thanks Carlo as you saved me close to $300 as I didn't need to waste all that money on a Litermeter III. These pumps are $11.99 and I saved 15% at the GB. Thanks Carlo.

Also Bill, I am still trying to figure out the exact amount I need to dose each day. Right now I'm dosing about 1/2 cup daily. I'm getting close to where it should be. I should have it down in the next few days.

One last question for me. Anyone know where I can purchase small amounts of Dow Flak and Mag Flake in NJ. Shipping on that stuff more than doubles the price. I've seen 50 lb bags advertised for less than $20 but after shipping you're going to pay double that at least. I need a supplier here in Jersey. I tried HD and they didn't have any. Anyone know where I can buy these items?

Thanks everyone for your help

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We did a group buy on them 2 Christmases ago. I'd have to search through our notes to see where we got it from. I think we're getting close to needing it too.

I saw rumblings of the Dow flake changing to include X which is undesireable (I think Carlo posted links to the info on RC). You may want to check lot numbers and date codes before using it.

I've got just about any reef chemical you guys could want except for GFO at the moment. It's not the DOW flake stuff however. I get pharm. class Ca & Mg instead of the driveway ice stuff. Little bit more but not that bad. I'm very, very shortly going to be a club sponsor for all sorts of chems & reef nutrition products but need to finish off the website (easy) and get a banner made first. Anyone want to make a banner for me?

Should be easy to bring stuff to meetings assuming it's an off week when I don't have my kids.

Carlo