• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

how long could a large rubbermaid function as my only aquarium?

Hope the subject wasn't confusing. As I've posted recently I'm not happy with my 50g... from the stand/canopy, to the LR, scratches on the acrylic, crushed coral etc. However a new anything other then some rock is out of the question so I have to work with what I have.

I've been planning to swap out some rock and do a new aquascape, replace the cc with sand, drain the tank & buff out the scratches, and I'd really like to repaint/refinish/do something with my stand. The first few things could be done on a rush job while the fish are being held in a rubbermaid container w/ powerhead and heater... but I'd really love to have more time to work with everything and to do something with the stand.

Could I set up my reef in a large rubbermaid and sustain it that way for a few weeks? Long enough to refinish the stand, buff out scratches, cure any new base/live rock & sand etc? I'd transfer some of my cc & LR, & tank water... put in my heater, skimmer, and powerhead and rig up my light above it... would this work? Basically looking for a way to start totally fresh in my current tank w/o buying a new tank or selling off my livestock.

Thanks for any opinions.

Candi

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There's people out here that ran their tanks for years that way.

I don't really see why it wouldn't work for a short term duration, the inhabitants probably won't mind too much as long as they can eat. Just be prepared from some stress during the move to the new container. I would replace the sandbed though, might stir up some garly stuff when getting the sandbed out. Make sure that whatever you use for a container doesn't bow or burst. I had purchased one of those 55 gallon rubbermaid containers at Target, filled it with water from the garden hose and it split like a pea in a soup! :D :D

FWIW

Tom

Hmm.. any recommendations on a cheap container that would hold at least 40g? Does rubbermaid make a heavy duty container that might work (I know I use their rolling trashcans for mixing my sw, but the most I ever put was 25g and that was only for a night or two). Not even sure I'll try this (the more I look at the stand/canopy... are they really that bad LOL) but good to know either way :)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Candi,
I agree with Tom. Your biggest concern is bowing or splitting. I have one in which I keep 3 turtles. It can probally hold about 30 gallons of water. I only fill it about 3/4 and it bows.

Mark

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
theres a feed store in Shrewsbury that sells them for horse trofts. Seen them ther but never priced them.

Candi you can do what saltwater said, or you can strap it around, and you can used a bin for as long as you can hold without looking at them from the front

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could always use a 45g Brute garbage can. It's probably not the most aesthetically pleasing option but it'll definitely hold water without bowing.

malulu

NJRC Member
Candi,

sure it can be done... it would be helpful if you have a stable sump/refugium duing the transition period.
[edit]
Yes, this is the polly tank i used for my transfer (posted by saltwater4life - http://cnj.craigslist.org/for/278180609.html)

i have a 210 gals tank, and there is a leak with the overflow, so i started a project on last year's thanksgiving week to take everything apart, re-seal a new overflow (made by NEWSALT)... rearrange live rocks...etc. what a mess!!!

this is what i did:
- i setup a new refugium and new sump, run it for about 4 weeks.
- connect my display to it for about a week.
- the fun started by:
- get a 100g polly tank ($80) made by rubbermaid, fill 40g of new salt water.
- move everything from the display tank to the poly tank.
- fill up the polly tank with the display water
- hook up the refugium and sump with the polly tank, w/ light on top of the polly
- then start to work on the display tank for about a week.
- then start to lay down PVC pipe, run for few days, put down LR...etc.
- the whole process of the live stock move from display to polly back to display took about 2 weeks.
- and nothing lost (beside some big corals breaking to smaller pieces!!!)
- and ofccourse the aqualscape is NOT better than BEFORE!!!!!!!

hope you have a fun weeks to come, if need help - just yell, i am sure pletty of us would find time to join your moving party! just make sure don't arrange it on a long weekend like i did (i ended up with only have 2 people working on the whole project for about 10 days!)

BTW:
when i done, i use the 100g polly tank as my new sump!!! cool!!

wow, now that sounds like it was alot of work LOL

My wannabe reef 50g doesn't even have a sump/refug etc (its acrylic and I'm to afraid to even think of drilling and my skimmer takes up most of the small amount of space I have to work with HOB things). For the price I'd probably just be better off picking up a used 40g tank and using it until I'm done and then reselling it. Whole idea is probably more trouble then what its worth... think I'll just live with the stand until I can get a different one in the future (note to self, next time you see a like new oceanic 58g cherry finish tank/stand/canopy for $200 BUY IT lol, missed this deal before we moved because I didn't want to drive 45mins away ::) )

Back to my original plan of transfering everyone to one of the rubbermaids I used for the move for a couple hours while I buff out some scratches, swap out the cc for sand, and rearrange the rocks etc.

Candi,

Target has some heavy duty 30/40 gallon tubs. I didn't mention because I was guessing that all of your stuff might not fit. I have the tan one that I do water changes with on my 65 FOWLR and dump a lot of water into it. You could definitely use that. I think it was $10 or less (I could be wrong on that). With these, you can put 1 inside the other and that should definitely do the trick, nice and easy.

You could even get a second bin and setup a fuge for when you put everything back as well! How AWESOME would that be! 2 upgrades for the price of 1!!!!

HTH

Tom

Thanks Tom, I was actually thinking about that last night (stacking a couple inside eachother for extra support) I don't think I bought the heavy duty ones when we moved but had no problem putting in my rock and good deal of water for the move, they were in there 24 hours and no issues... I'll check out what target has the next time I go if I still decide to do this.