• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to reduce magnesium levels

One week after my first magnesium test and one water change my magnesium levels are showing to be way to high. I have never dose any magnesium into my tank and I can't figure out why my magnesium is so high.

Is there a way to reduce magnesium levels?

Thanks in advance.

I would not be able to tell you how high it really is, but after using a salifert magnesium test kit the color never changed from pink to the grayish/blue color. according to other people here that was a sign of extremely high magnesium levels.

I need to test my fresh salt mix to see at what levels they are

What salt mix do you use?

Check your CA and Alk as well as the three ions interact.

If I remember correctly salifert MG tops out at 1500. You can measure higher levels by refilling the titration syringe and add the results to the first number.

Gave a quick look at RC for toxicity levels, but there is very little and they would seem to be very high numbers.

Here is a link to one of Randy's articles.

I would suggest you check the fresh saltwater mix and also see if you can check your test kit against another.

To lower MG, if the livestock looks OK, I would just let it naturally deplete and make sure you don't add anymore. Are you using any other types of supplements? MG can come along with Kalk and some Calcium supplements.

A few partial water changes with a known normal MG level would be the other approach, but do it gradually.

I'm using Tropic marin salt mix. My CA is at 400ppm and ALK 9-10 dkh. I have been using 2 part kit from bulkreefsuppply to maintain my CA & ALK, but my MAG was high before using the two part kit, before I used to used seachem products to maintain my CA & ALK.

Thanks for the link

I would be wondering about the test kit. I use Tropic Marin as well and it is not noted for running hign on MG.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Try another test kit. Lots of folks have been getting extremely high false readings with Salifert kits lately. Try using an API, Red Sea or other brand of test kit.