• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How to "trim" xenia?

I've discovered by accident that if you put Yellow Polyps or Candy Canes too close you can kill it and it doesn't come back. Works with Anthelia too! LOL

I think I'm missing something. This isn't a pest. I was just looking to cut it back some and maybe give frags away. It is really beautiful xenia.
Ken

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When I had Xenia, I was gonna try attaching small rubble at the boarder where I wanted it to stop. Then when the Xenia was firmly attached to the rubble, remove the rubble for trade or sale. I never did try it though. Kinda went with Eds method when when I banished all softies from my tank.

ken6217 said:
I think I'm missing something. This isn't a pest. I was just looking to cut it back some and maybe give frags away. It is really beautiful xenia.
Ken

I think it's a Point of View thing. I like the Xenia because I like the movement, but I wasn't too careful about where I placed. I put it too low in the tank and it crawled up and over everything, leaving babies wherever it went. At that point, it's a pest! Starting to get it under control a little bit now.

The same with Anthelia, but I don't like that so much and am trying to rid my tank of it.

There are those who view it as a weed that needs to be exterminated. LOL!

Just cut it at the base with a sharp razor. Let the cutting heal for a few days ( I put it in one of those hang-on specimen tanks with a few hole drilled in it) then glue it to a rock. The small part that was left behind will start to grow small polyps in a week or two. Some people can never grow this stuff. The others can't get rid of it.

I'll post some pics tonight.

Thanks all. I was never that crazy about xenia, but this blue pulsating species really looks nice. I guess my concern was that if I cut it, would it get some kind of infection etc.
Ken