• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Humidity Issues

Anyone have issues with humidity in their residence due to their reef keeping addiction, I mean hobby? How did you handle it? I live in a newer townhouse which is fairly air tight and hence the problem, plus with a large open sump in the basement, I can get enough humidity in my basement to swell doors, etc. I don't have any moisture on the windows so it isn't that bad, but I want to add more tanks so I want to address before it becomes a big problem.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My basement can get pretty humid, I use a dehumidifier to battle it. It's amazing how much moisture it can pull out!

the only drawback to the dehumidifier is that it generates heat...so that starts another issue. ::)

I have house AC that was causing me the problem for years , by making the air very dry, both in cool and hot mode. I solved the problem by installing a reef tank that evaporates 1 gal per day ;D

I usually have high humidity in the winter when all the doors and windows are shut, ignore it, make a tropical rum drink, and listen to Jimmy Buffett ;) 8) ;D

sinkingbeach said:
I usually have high humidity in the winter when all the doors and windows are shut, ignore it, make a tropical rum drink, and listen to Jimmy Buffett ;) 8) ;D

I have a feeling you would be doing that even if it was as dry as Arizona ;)

As for my display room, even when I had a my 110 fowlr along with the 210, I never had a problem with humidity. I dont know why. My wife has a lot of house plants, maybe that has something to do with it. As for the sump room, its usually 66-76% humidity in there. I have 2 bathroom fans venting to the garage.

A fan that vents out of the house is best, but might involve "construction" work.

Next to that, a de-humidifier will do. Just needs to be emptied often if humidity level is high.

Dom