• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I have roaches if anyone needs lizard food.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, I decided that as my panther chameleon is going through a buck in crickets a day, I'd switch over to dubia roaches as his primary and raise them myself.

My supplies:
A 12 gallon black tote with a yellow lid from the orange box store (with 4 2" vent holes on the sides covered by metal screen repair mesh).
A heat mat with heat controller (set to 85F).
A water spray bottle to occasionally spray in the container to keep a humidity around 40%.
A combination electronic thermometer/hygrometer (probes inserted through a small hole drilled in lid).
A small dish with a cut loofa inside for water (food just sits on the bottom (leftover veggies, apple pieces, romaine, etc)).
Lots of egg crate standing on side in half the container.
A quantity of assorted dubia roaches to establish the colony (30 or so of medium 'feeder' size, 5 breeding males, 20 breeding females).
An assorted beetle/grub clean up crew for a colony up to 1000 roaches.

A note on the 'breeding roaches'. They are BIG. Like bigger than your thumb big. Big enough to make noise. Oh, and the males have wings.
They don't bite, but having an insect walk up your arm that you can feel the weight of is a bit weird. My kids call them 'The Nightmare Bugs'.

On April 15 we dumped everything in and hit to go button.
Today is day 7.
No clue they were going to breed THIS fast or this prolifically, there are literally hundreds in the box as of this morning (most nymphs or tiny, but they are there and growing fast).
There are so many roaches of nymph to small medium size that they're going through an apple a day.

Anyone needs food for a reptile, drop me a line.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I use a lot of them feeding a bearded dragon. Thought about breeding them. Getting them in the mail has been working for me. Much better food then crickets. Easy to keep too.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I got them a few times before.....til the wife said HELL NO we ain't having roaches in the house. hahahaha. so my reptiles only eat superworms and hornworms.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I got them a few times before.....til the wife said HELL NO we ain't having roaches in the house. hahahaha. so my reptiles only eat superworms and hornworms.
I agree with your wife. Had many reptiles but I cannot stand cockroaches.

Reactions: DEL