• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I need help...whats going on here?

So I noticed red flesh developing on my usually bright neon green brain coral which used to be all pink prior to reef roids... but now the pink has turned red and looks to almost be choking out the green brain coral looking spots. Then it accrued to me...I have had some tiny spots of cyanobacteria developing on the substrate and couldn't figure out why and it never spread. Is this cyanobacteria taking over my brain coral? Did the red cyano I seen on the substrate that was always only near the brain coral fall off the brain coral onto the substrate? Should I dose my tank to treat cyano and see how it affects the red color on the brain coral? You can see down near the bottom of the brain coral where the red flesh has fallen off...that must have been what I was mistakenly thinking was piece of cyano on the sand bed. But what is going on here? Any suggestions or help are appreciated....I'd seriously hate to loose my brain coral since it is one of the first ones in this tank and is now almost 3 years old.

Attachments

• 20191006_124347.jpg
    20191006_124347.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20191006_124344.jpg
    20191006_124344.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20191006_124336.jpg
    20191006_124336.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
I don't know much about that coral. You might want to lightly baste water on the coral to see if you can flush this out from between the heads. There may be food or other debris between the heads that acts as food. If it is sponge, it should not blow off. You can get rid of a sponge by taking the piece out of the water for a short period to allow air to get into the sponge. There are threads on how to identify and treet cyano in reef2reef.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Might want to slow down on the reef roids if you are getting cyano.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
increasing flow to the area might keep it away, but you need to address the nutrient issue that is causing you cyano to keep it away.