• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I need help

Re: help

I test my wather for I thing averyting and my corals r slowly dieing.I dont know why I need some help if somebody lives near bye please can you help me .Tom

What exactly are your water parameters? Give me some details about your system: filtration, skimmer, lighting, etc...

Corals can die for many different reasons. In this hobby one of the biggest killer of corals is not having the adequate amount of light for corals. On top of this, huge fluctuations in alkalinity and ph can cause corals to die. There are many more reasons for corals dying: water temperature, parasites, water chemistry, unknown objects in the system (for example: a guy's family member dropped a battery in his tank and the next day almost every coral was bleached) and more.

It seems like you are looking for someone local that can come by your place or something. I hope that there is someone here that can help. But in the mean time post more info so that we can help you. Pics would definitely help too. Also, try to remember if there have been any major changes to your tank. Something as simple as changing brands of salt can have huge effects in a reef system.

Leo is right. Just tell us your test results and tank info and im sure we can figure out whats wrong.

rob

1st of all, we need to know this ....

1. age of system (when was it started)
2.whats in the tank thats slowly dieing
3.water parameters (PH,nitrite,nitrate,amonia,SG) those are the main ones for now.
4 temp of water (high and low)
5.type of bulbs, and age of them

6 just generally tell us about your setup, if you take your time, and tell us in as much detail what the deal is, you will get results AOT quicker, and be on the road to recovery.

dont worry about saying something stupid, we dont judge people, just try to help them, its a frustrating hobby, but as long as you read, follow, excersize patience, your tank will thrive.

good luck

Jerry

ok I am gona try to get you some details;
I start above 2 years ago I got eihem wet-dry filter ,prizm protein skimer,fluroscent light 135W 50-50.eco equilizier E-55.
Oh my tank is 35Gal.live sand, live rock I got clounfish ,bluetang.goby,damsel .I had couple crabs but they die.
My corals start dieing like year ago slowly one by one.
I just did some test and my wather seems to be good
amonia-0
nitrate-0
gravity-1.023
PH-8.6
alkality-250kh
CA-400mg/L

I realy dont know what to doo thanks for all your help but if someone local can stop bye and take a look and tell my what I doing wrong.

Not for nothing but if you have had your tank set up for 2 years and you do not know what is going on there is a problem.

Okay, lets start with this:

How old are you lights? You should know that most PC bulbs loss 50 to 60% of their power after a year. After that their performance drops dramatically. If your lights have not been changed since you set up your tank this could be one of the biggest reasons why your corals are dying.

Your levels seem good but I would lower the pH down to 8.4.

What type of corals do you have? With your lights the most you cannot keep too many corals.

How often are you doing water changes?

How often and how much do you feed your tank?

What types of crabs died? Hermit crabs or other crabs?

When was the last time that you changed the media in the Eheim?

I suggest that you get rid of the wet/dry. If you do not monitor the waste that collects in them you basically recycle nitrates into your tank. For a 39gl a prizm can work but you have to have it fine tuned.

Im willing to help you but I am concerned with the fact that after 2 years you do not know some of the fundamentals of the hobby. I recommend that you go online and research the basics of reef keeping. This way you will have a better understanding of what is happening in your tank!

My lights I change above year ago.I add like 4gal of water per 2weeks.I feed once a day in the aftrnoon.
my crabs I had emerald crab and blue leg hermit crab olso cleaner shripm and bended coral shrimp.
What kind of media I shut put in filter?I got Ehfisubstrat Pro
and filter pads.I change 80%every 6 months.
I research on web and asking selesmann the make my wather tests but averyting looks ok.I read above the basic but I can figure out what I doing wrong.It can be the filter?Before I buy that filter I read that eihem wet-dry is good for reef tank.
I thing my wather is not good I dont have the purple calcium on my rocks and glass.You know the calcium buffer part A and B?When I add part B the clouds like stuc together.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just my .02   :)

Only 4 gallons of top off in 2 weeks? That doesn't seem right.. with 130 watts of lighting over a 35 gallon I would think there would be more evaporation than that. Do you add all your top off at one time? That could be causing some problems if you do. It would cause your SG to swing.. I think I would also slowly raise your SG to 1.025.
Buy a new light as well.. at this point that light has used all of it's usable spectrum. 

Changing you 80% of your filter media every 6 months is really a bad idea. You are wiping out a huge portion of your biological filter. It really should be rinsed once a month...or more often if possible.

I am not totally against canister filters, I use one on my 90 gallon..but I only use it for my UV Sterilizer. There is definitely more maintenence involved with a canister. You would be better off getting a sump. But if you have no choice but to use the canister, I would slowly remove any media you have in there.. maybe 1/4 of it every few weeks, and just keep a sponge in there to help with your mechanical filtration.

When was the last time you have done a water change?

Also, I am assuming you are using 2 part B-Ionic? The second part will always cloud the water.. You should add it very slowly to the tank. If you had a sump you could pour it in there to get it to mix up a little better before adding it directly to your tank.

Sometimes salesman arent the best people to get advice from, they can be more concerned with making a sale then actually helping you create a healthly enviroment for your fish/corals.

HTH

1st off, change your bulbs and do a 10-20% water change.
raise your salinity up slowly to 1.025
lower your PH, (8.6 isnt deadly, but its better at 8.0- 8.4)
how are you reading your salinity (swing arm thing, hydrometer(floats in tank) or refractometer)

get rid of the wet dry, add a fuge with some macro algae

the reason the part b is clumping up, is the water is imbalanced, due to lack of water changes, top off isnt a water change, its adding fresh water to the water

also , what type of water are you using, reg tap water, RO/DI water, how old are the filters if you are using RO/DI, what is your TDS

what kinda corals are dying?

are you adding any kind of supplements that you arent testing for?

I read the salinity by hydrometer.
What do I have to doo with the imbalanced wather?I use r/o wather
I add calcium, stronium,iodine,trace elements,coral vite and part A,B
My corals whitch I dont have anymore mushrums,polyps,buble.

Do you know what a water change is andhow to do one? a few good water changes will most likely do the trick. adding fresh water is not a water change. you have to remove 20%-30% of the old water and add new salt water on a regular basis. im not sure if u understand this or not, but it seems like whoever gaveu advise on how to care for your system either works for a bad local fish store(sounds like petco advise) or doesnt know much about caring for a marine aquarium.

i suspect that you are not doing regular water changes. that combined with the fact that u r dosing alot of unneccesary additives leads me to believe that your water is seriously imbalanced.

stop dosing all thoseadditives and do a couple water changes and let us know how the tank does.

one more question. have u ever used any copper medications for curing Ick?

No I did not use any medication in my tank.For the advise I vent to animal and things,and absolutely fish on route 46.
soo I shut not add any additives?

C

concept3

Additives are OK to use as long as it's not too much. Water changes however replensih any trace elements that your tank is missing (no need for additives) as well as providing an export to any bad organics in the tank.

"The solution to pollution is dilution"

As far as advice, ask here first. In my experiences, most pet stores will sell you something if you're in need of an answer that could be as simple as water changes.

Start cranking with the water changes!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah...Water Changes!  ;D and please, please, please Don't Listen to Animals and Things!! The are not a reputable store, nor do they care about anything other than a sale.