• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ID and free to a good home

Got this crab when I picked up some Emerald crabs and quickly released it is not an Emerald crab. Seems like it likes to munch on coral. Curious as to what it is.
gybyzesu.jpg

I've had a large emerald "reef safe" that I caught devouring zoas, play it safe throw it in the sump. From what I can remember someone telling me if the crab has pointed claws its a meat eater ,rounded its an algea. Not sure the truth behind that

If it is a red Mithrax it should be ok. Reefs2go sells them along with the green Mithrax (emerald). But emeralds red or green Are hit or miss. Certainly no crab can be completely trusted.

I feel the same way with crabs ,don't trust them. I keep a large cleanup crew of hermit crabs but don't think i will ever put an emerald in my dt again

If he is small and you keep it well fed it should not be a problem. But like I said you always take your chances with any crab. I had an arrow crab once that never gave me a problem until I had an algae bloom and cut back on the food to try and solve the nitrate bloom. He found the root structure of my mushrooms a particularly tasty treat and never went back.