• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ID Please

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Have some new "stuff" growing in my 90g.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't even know where to start!

199_04_05_07_8_00_43_0.jpg

199_04_05_07_8_00_44_1.jpg

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
no clue.....
Are they soft? Like bubble algae? The bright dots look almost like polyps.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
tunicate or sponge maybe? Could even be bubble algae's cousin.

Looks like a case for Dr. Ron

I’m interested also.
I have the same thing in one of my tanks but only one rock. I would take the rock out, pick all the red bubbles off and put the rock back in. It would never go away and be back in a month. It has never spread to the other rocks so I just leave it alone now.

But, I always just thought it was some kind of red bubble algae.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm glad to hear that others have these weird things! They are freaky looking!

I'll post it somewhere else and see if I find anything out.

I had some stuff growing on a few rocks that I wasn't sure about. I took the drastic approach and put them in the oven for an hour at 350 (it stunk). I then treated them like uncured rock and "cured" them again before putting them back in the tank.

It did the trick. I've got a couple of pieces now with hair algae on them that I can't get off. I'm thinking of baking these rocks too.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm hoping that it's nothing bad, they do look pretty cool after all. I have a "call" out to Dr. Ron to see what they can come up with over there.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They've been in my nano from the start (over a year ago) and I've never had a problem with them. They spread a little but then somehow "weed" themselves out and keep in check.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here is Dr. Ron's response to me so far:

"Hi Brian,

They could either be colonial sea squirts or a fleshy red alga. If they are the former, they will be tough and "rubbery" in consistency. If the later, they will be very slippery, rather easily deformed by simple pressure and "pop-able." I think they are the colonial sea squirts or ascidiaceans. These are harmless (in most cases) filter feeders, you may find more about in Issue 7 of AHABS
."

So far, I think they are the fleshy red algae and not the sea squirts, I took one out of the tank today and they were definitely squishy and easily "pop-able".

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here is his final response to me:

Hi Brian,

Yes, it does sound like a red alga. Generally, these fleshy types are not particularly rapidly growing. I have had them from time to time in my tanks and have considered them more of a decorative item than a nuisance, but such a designation is much like beauty, being in the eye of the beholder.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
FWIW

I was contacted by one of the mods on Marine Depot's forum. They asked to use that pic in thier ID pages. Kind of cool! 8)

HERE is the page.