• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Incredible but tiny (anyone else interested in chemistry?)

... and the "enemy" is playtoxin.

Have any of you guys actually seen a model or diagram of palytoxin? It is incredibly huge and complex, an absolutely amazing molecular structure. I'm not talking about all the hype about it. Just the actual composition of palytoxin, or, for that matter, maitotoxin, too. Amazing and absolutely fascinating.

It's huge! Friggin' huge!

C126H223N3O54

Huge!

.... sorry *sheepish* I just felt the need to express my surprise and amazement at the toxin. Anyone else share my strange fascination with paly- or maito- toxins?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's HUGE! Not sure I have a paly-obsession, but that's one big molecule.

Phyl said:
That's HUGE! Not sure I have a paly-obsession, but that's one big molecule.

I know. Fortunately, with further digging, I found the some awesome molecular diagrams of palytoxin (the wiki's got a cool diagram, too)! Check it out, it's ginormous on the atomic level!

Fig_6.gif

I'm not as much a paly or zoanthid obsessed individual, but I am interested in the more subtle aspects of reef keeping and corals. And for some odd reason, one of the most toxic substances (especially non-peptide substance) just lurking about in tanks in one of the most seeming innocuous corals is utterly fascinating to me. That, coupled with the current hype over palytoxin adding to the psychological impact of the toxin is kind of intriguing me (wondering how many people have had palytoxin or mistaken another ailment for palytoxin).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had some stinging in my fingers that lasted for almost a week. Felt like I had fiberglass in my fingers. This happened after I fragged some paly's. I attributed the sensation to the palytoxin, but obviously had no real ground to stand on with the assumption. Since these were raffle frags they went out in raffles so I don't have them to try it again.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is it just me, or do these two look like they're engaged in a questionable activity?!?

palytoxin.jpg

That must be the part that makes it hurt when you get stung!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm pretty sure 54 Os would be plenty to make up a molecule of Palytoxin, Rich.

And what amazing evolutionary set of events contributed to development of necessary components for synthesizing this molecule. And how does the DNA code this whole process with combinations of just those 4 proteins.

JohnS_323 said:
Is it just me, or do these two look like they're engaged in a questionable activity?!?

palytoxin.jpg

That must be the part that makes it hurt when you get stung!

Wow, now that was just funny! Good eye!

blange3 said:
Keep this discussion up and homeland security may have to shut us down! ;D

Oh nos!

I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh, but I keep getting phone tapped because a gentleman friend from Atlanta is friend with someone on a watch list (I promise, she's not a terrorist. Far from it. She's a vegan political activist and Red Cross member). The things that can get you into trouble with homeland security these days are ridiculous. *shaking head*

malulu said:
for those of you DON'T know what the hell this is all about (like me), i did a search, here is the fuss...

Palytoxin

Sorry about making a fuss. It's just neat!

*kicking random can* *dejectedly* At least, I think it's neat.

Hey, at least we're not scaremongering like the people on RC about how your tank is going to instantly cause you to die for any number of reasons! :p

malulu

NJRC Member
hey - kathainbowen :
don't mind me... i always talk like this - the fuss...
;D

thanks for the info, now i have one more reason to tell my kids - to not touch the corals... they sometime, pick up snails to hold in hand to show off when they have friends over our house.
:)