• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

intel Core duo vs intel core 2 duo

Can Any computer folks out there tell me the difference in laymans terms between the two processors, and if it is worth the extra 30% when I purchase my next laptop?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
It really depends on what you use your computer for. I just read a few reviews and basically they said performance was 10-25% better (with the same speed processor), but that heat of course went up a bit as well as battery consumption.

If you're a graphic artist or a big gamer or someone who leaves their laptop plugged in all the time, might be worth the $$$. If you're just the average laptop user who spends a good majority of their time on the internet, email, or word docs...then probably not worth it.

:)

spykey said:
Can Any computer folks out there tell me the difference in laymans terms between the two processors, and if it is worth the extra 30% when I purchase my next laptop?

Unless you run very demanding applications, like CAD, photo editing, video exiting, high end games, the choice of CPU chip doesn't make too much difference on a laptop.

Because a laptop is usually built to conserve battery power, you'll find them using slower disk drives, sometimes slower memory, often less memory than you would put in a desktop. These tend to be the limiting factor much more than the processor.

Now, if you are the type that can take apart small delicate objects, and put them back together again, and you don't mind risking your laptop, it it often possible to order the laptop with the slowest CPU, smallest disk and least amount of memory and upgrade it as needed. Depending upon what you upgrade this might save you money. I will admit that it takes "the heart of a lion" to open up the case on that new $1000+ laptop, possibly voiding your warenty, and seeing all the parts all over you work area.

I have a MacBook Pro which came with a Core Dueo 1.83.... Its a great laptop I can run anything on it including any CAD software, Video Editing and such.

I think you'll be fine with the Core Duo one of the most inmportant things that you should look into is memory, make sure you at least get 1 GB, I have 1.5GB of RAM and might upgrade to 2.5GB soom. I work for a CAD compay and have installed and trained on most od AutoDesk products on this laptop and never had a problem

Another important thing you should try to avoid is MS Vista.... try to get XP since the requirements for Vista are higher and is generally slower... I ran XP Pro and Vista Bussiness on this MacBook Pro and XP was much more responsive.

On another note... I just upgraded the harddrive on this myself from 80Gb to 160Gb.... and for this particulat model I think I had to take 17-20 screws to get to the hard drive.... it was pretty crazy.

Good Luck (GO MAC)