• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is the Camden "adventure aquarium" worth the visit?

We're thinking about going to the aquarium in Camden tomorrow (open 365, figure it might be empty because of Easter?) but before I make my crabby non fish loving husband shell out the $17 for each of us and $15 for our 3 yr old I wanted to see if you guys thought it was worth it?

Thanks

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Never been there but Jenkinsons in Point Pleasant is closer. Easter is the start of the tourest season.

Went there a few months ago, not to knock it as it was cute... but I think I enjoyed visiting your living room and looking at your tanks more ;)

Hoping the Camden one has more of a "wow" factor (plus Aliya is begging to see jelly fish, I think they have a display)

Nothing will probably ever compare to the aquarium in Maui Hawaii to me but still like to check them out.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Camden wasn't all that great the last time I was there, but that was before the renovation. I know Brian & Deb have been recently and enjoyed it.

Worth it to me and worth it to you might be two different things. Personally I prefer driving to Baltimore for the aquarium there for the difference in the trip between going to Camden or going to Baltimore. The trip to Baltimore is obviously longer and more expensive too, but still more worth my time.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Like Phyllis said, we were just there not that long ago. It was nice and yes they are renovating it. Baltimore is definitely a nice aquarium to go to, but I think that's more of a over night trip (you have to hang at the waterfront!)

I didn't even know about the NY aquarium... We'll have to look into that one!

Candi said:
We're thinking about going to the aquarium in Camden tomorrow (open 365, figure it might be empty because of Easter?) but before I make my crabby non fish loving husband shell out the $17 for each of us and $15 for our 3 yr old I wanted to see if you guys thought it was worth it?

Thanks

It's MUCH less of a rip off than the Georgia Aquarium. $25 per person to be in a crammed aquarium. Granted, their tanks are large and stunning, but there aren't that many tanks. I was very disheartened until I got the "Alan-Tour" and got to stand on the moveable bridge over the whale sharks and go see the top off the reef tank. Other than that, I would have rathered the cheaper, more leisurely visit to the Camden, NY, or Baltimore Aquariums.

Camden is nice, and I always had fun going there. Baltimore is still the nicest I've been to thusfar, but I have yet to make my pilgrimages to Monterey Bay, the Shedd, or Waikiki. =/

I really enjoyed my visit to the camden aquarium. i was there about a year ago, just after i started in this hobby. I was totally amazed by the fish they had there, and their shark and jellyfish displays were very cool as well.

Red

For you or the kids? If for you.. eh, if you have nothing better to do.. If for the kids, well then I would say yes, go ahead and make the trip. Please pack at least 2 handguns, and a bazooka for the trip into camden. I would strongly suggest you go during the day and leave before dark. Make sure you have great directions or gps, and leave NOTHING in visual site or worth anything in the car. Park in the car garage to the left of the aquarium. Have fun!

Yikes, that bad eh?

We didn't end up going because I wasn't feeling great. My daughter is only 3, and as she told me a few nights ago when I was apparently boring her talking about our fish "um mama, I don't really like fish" LOL LOL LOL

mynd said:
For you or the kids? If for you.. eh, if you have nothing better to do.. If for the kids, well then I would say yes, go ahead and make the trip. Please pack at least 2 handguns, and a bazooka for the trip into camden. I would strongly suggest you go during the day and leave before dark. Make sure you have great directions or gps, and leave NOTHING in visual site or worth anything in the car. Park in the car garage to the left of the aquarium. Have fun!

It's really not that bad. I'm sure if you turn down the wrong block in some parts it's ugly but driving to the aquarium is not bad at all. But then again someone on here said I live in a horrible area too.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I agree that area is not that bad right around the aquaruim. They have a really cool shark tank. You can even swim with them if your crazy.

I'm a volunteer at the aqauarium and do enjoy it. My preference is the Atlanta Aquarium, then Baltimore and then Camden. The Atlanta Aquarium is the largest in the world with 8 million gallons with one tank holding 6 million gallons. They have a 160 thousand gallon reef tank (MAR) which is pretty cool. It's impressive when you consider they only opened in Nov 2005.

The camden aqaurium is nice and close and have a decent amount of fish and basic sharks but you won't see great hammers like at other bigger places. You also don't want to go to Camden to see reefs as there really aren't any.

Swimming with the sharks is pretty cool. I've done it several dozen times. If you are certified you can SCUBA in the tank on certain days with prior notice.

In the "day drive" area Baltimore is tops in my book. They have a really nice variety of things there.

Carlo

The surrounding area is just fine....You're on main roads the entire time.

My wife and I swap with the Sharks about 3 months after they started the program. We were they before with the kids and they enjoyed it. Good if you're looking to kill a few hours. Weekends are very crowded, which could be pain. If you go when the weather is a bit warmer they have a cool penguin thing outside.
Getting back to the sharks. I think it was 150.00, which included swimming with the sharks and full admission for the day. You get a snorkel and mask (brand new, which you keep) and a tee shirt. Bring water shoes, clothes to change into, soap, towel for a shower etc...The salt water kills your skin and hair and you’ll want to wash it out when you're done.
The water is about 68-70, which is very cold after being in for 5-10 minutes. You're not in a cage but you are in what they call a walking platform. You basically sit at the top of the water but there is the risk that a shark will enter the area where you're floating. First 2 minutes are scary but as they swim by (2 ft away with nothing but water separating you) they look right into your eyes. After a few minutes you start to calm down but then you start shaking from the cold. After 10-12 minutes they bring you into a sting ray tank where the water is warm and shallow. You feed the rays' etc...Like puppies climbing on your leg.
Then back into the main tank for another 10 minutes. The entire process lasts about 1 1/2 hours.
Great part is that you get see some amazing fish while in the tank. Giant Queen Angel, tons and tons of powder blue tangs and a few others.

For 150.00, a day without the kids and the possibility to get bit by a shark; it all seems worth it. (Largest shark was an 860 lb.) and they don't bite as long as you keep your hands in.

dave-ko said:
Price of a once in a lifetime experience $150
not getting your head biten off: priceless

LOL I can imagine the wavers you must have to sign. I love sw fish etc, but I'll stick to viewing them from behind glass (yes I'm a wuss, and I wear big ol' thick gloves in my tanks too :p )