• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is this a good RO unit?

picked this up from my boss who bought it a few months back for his pizza shop but isn't gonna use it and it's never been taken out of the box

http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pr...ryId=175&subCategoryId=176&productId=618#tabs

the only price I could find was around $200 at Lowes, I got it for $70 from him.
should be well worth it no?

I really don't know much about RO units but I'm tired of lugging the 5 gallon jugs back and forth to Trop and up/down my stairs to get my water every month or so. it says the filters last about 6 months on regular use. Plus now I can return the jugs I rented from them so I'd actually paid only $40 for this unit.

Question though, there's no way to just shut these off or bypass them is there? We'd like to use it for our drinking water but don't really want to waste the filters on washing dishes ya know.

Looks like it is better than mine but I have mine hooked up to a hose line and is easy to use or not use. That one is industrial so I am not sure how you would bypass it without looking at how it is hooked up.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The unit is only an RO unit. You REALLY want RO/DI. You'll likely find that after the RO stages (3) you'll still have some TDS in your water (10-30?). You can probably add the DI stages on. Not sure when we're slated for the next Air Water Ice buy, but you can probably buy all the bits you need from them to get it to "reef ready" status.

As for "bypass" the faucet that you see there is an extra faucet that you'd have at your sink that would ONLY dispense RO water and your regular faucet would continue to provide you with cleaning water. You'd find the flow way too slow, even with the reservior, for doing dishes or anything else of the sort.

As for those buckets that you've rented... They're always a good idea to keep on hand. We always have a 55g drum full of fresh, another 55 that is either fresh or salted, depending on where we are in the water change process and 5 of those jugs full of water. You never know when you're going to have a water emergency. LOL.