• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

is this big enough?

C

concept3

yes, it should be. Now is this for a fuge ONLY or is it going to be partitioned for a fuge/sump?

A refugium is only as good as the bioload and density of your tank vs density of macro algae you put in it. You won't be able to sustain a large amount of macroalgae without the nutrients to feed it and make it grow, also the amount of flow going through it is important as well. You don't want tons of water moving through it, but rather a slower flow so the algae can "strip" the water off its excess nutrients.

it is only a fuge. My tank is well stocked. I am confused, my flow rate is 600gph. is that too much for the fuge, if so, then what options do I have?

put a "T" on the inlet to your fuge and a ball valve on one side which will control the flow to your fuge and the other side goes to your sump.

I have a dual over flow with the 1" hoses to the sump, what could I use to attach the hose to a t. Would I be able to use one side of the over flow to just the fuge side?

you want your refuge to be about 10% of the volume of your tank and the flow rate to be about 25% of your total overflow rate. you can use pvc to plumb the overflows into a "T".

C

concept3

steve68 said:
master merv
well said:)

he he he, and I can't keep a fuge myself, all the macro algae die so I gave up. I read the info somewheres myself, LOL

Oh yeah, a reverse photoperiod is good to have in a fuge as well as it will balance out the pH in your tank. In the light phase of the tank, fish use up Oxygen and give out CO2 as they respire, you don't need to have the light on in the fuge since the corals and algaes (including zoox) use up the CO2 and produce Oxygen. In the dark phase of the tank, you would rather keep the fuge light on since the fish still respire as they sleep and the Macro algaes produce O2 to balance out the pH. CO2 + water is almost Carbonic Acid which brings pH down and fluctuates between the light and dark phases of the tank.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
My 150 has duel overflows I use 1 intake and return for the refugium and 1 set for a closed loop system.
Works good for me.