• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kessil A360we on 72ga

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I need some advice. So it appears that my kessil A360we has died, I don't know if it's the light or the power source but at this point today will be day 2 of the light being out on my tank.

A few things: 1. Does anybody know where I can pick up only the power spurce? And if that's possible? I have to be absolutely sure as I do not want to waste money on a generic power source.

2. I reached out to kessil and I am waiting to hear back from them and if they give me bad news (like I need a new light) then I may consider going T5. If this is the case, can I pick up a fixture at let's say home depot? The bulbs have to be higher quality I know but will a fixture from there suffice?

3. If all else fails, I may tear down and sell all of the items (including livestock) on this tank. I have been plagued with nothing but issues from this tank since day 1. From power outages, floods, leaks, etc.

I wouldn't get out of the hobby but I would just get a smaller tank look like another 10gal IM. Sorry about this long post, but I am just cranky and I'm ranting. I haven't had my coffee yet.

horseplay

NJRC Member
It's easy to verify. Use a multimeter to check if there is voltage out of the power supply. Multimeter is cheap and you can use it for other things. I have a Chinese LED you can borrow. You can also borrow my multimeter.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
How old is the light? Is it under warranty, i have heard kessil has great customer service. Do you have lps or sps coral? If so the Home Depot light will not work at all. The ballasts, cooling, and reflectors are not close to even a bad aquarium light. If you want cheap buy this 48" Sun Blaze T5 HO Lighting Fixture - Sunlight Supply - T5 Fluorescent - Lighting - Bulk Reef Supply

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was looking at these lights in particular and this would be what I'd purchase if it decide to. In this tank it only lps so nothing crucial. And I have decided to move some items out into my smaller tank. But as of right now I am leaning towards shutting this tank down.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It's easy to verify. Use a multimeter to check if there is voltage out of the power supply. Multimeter is cheap and you can use it for other things. I have a Chinese LED you can borrow. You can also borrow my multimeter.
I'm gonna check that now, I think my neighbor has one....ill keep you posted

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So as an update, I re-aqauscaped my tank for the time being and pulled a few pieces and placed into my smaller tank. For now things seem to be ok. I am going to reach out to kessil as a follow up later on today. I was offered a multimeter but I couldn't get it to turn on (the battery was dead and I didn't have any 9volts to replace it :mad:)

On a side note, is there anybody here that would be interested in a carpet nem w 2 hosting clarkii's? If I can move em, I can properly deal with the needs of this this tank.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
has anybody ever used the AI sol LED's? there is a guy in kenniworth not too far from me selling them. i cant find much on them as they have been discontinued

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
it was listed in CL....one for $210 which is a blk n silver model and $230 (he has 2x) for a white model....i do not know much about them but compared to the retail price 1/2 price is not bad. the concern is me trying to find parts for this given that the model is discontinued. So if i get some good feedback on theses ill pull the trigger and make the purchase. may get both of the white models.

Thank you guys for the offers to borrow some of your lights? Rkalola, saltkreep88, & horseplay (sorry guys but i do not know your actual names but mines is Marcus btw)

right now everything seems to be ok as i re-aquascaped everything in my tank to one side and i relocated some more corals to my smaller tank. as of right now i have mostly LPS (frogspawn, hammer, gsp and a few others) and they are all opening and are under a kessil a150...they were on this lit side of the tank from the beginning so i do not think they noticed the change much.

horseplay

NJRC Member
That nem is a beauty. I wish I have the tank for it.

As for the light I consider it overpriced for something that's already a few years old and a few generations back. You might be inherit other people's problems. Depending what corals you plan to keep, I like the following:

1. for cheap - 2 chinese LED's.
2. for SPS - ATI T5 fixture. Reasonably priced and can grow anything.
3. expensive but arguably the best - ATI Hybrid.

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
I just upgraded to an ATI 8 x 80 over my 225 and have 4 used Ocean Revive S026s that ate available. If your interested I'll give you a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
so Just an update on this. late last night (as they are in California) after a few days of back n forth troubleshooting, Kessil reached out to me stating that my light is under warranty and that they will be shipping me out a new one. they will also provide me with a free return label to ship back the old/damaged unit to them. They asked for my home address & CC information as they will only use it in the event that i do not return the old light. i should have it by next week i am assuming, not in time for the meeting but oh well....i can wait

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
New update, so yesterday i received my brand new, shiny kessil a360.....so for now, until i make some changes to my tank i am just going to hold onto it as i do not want to risk damaging my new light