• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Leaking ball valve

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just installed a 2" ball valve on the new sump that I'm upgrading to in the basement. I cheaped out (I know you get what you pay for..LOL) and bought the one that I guess you would call "single union" (it unscrews from the pipe only on one side). Well I started to fill the sump with water to check for leaks and of course the cheapo ball valve which was 6 dollars less if I remember right does not hold.

My questions are :Does the seal on the valve have to swell from being wet to seal? Is there anything I can do or should have done to make it work? If it's just defective, I'm cutting it out and returning it back to Lowes to get the better one.

It is a good thing that I have to move my existing pump to the new sump when I am ready or I would have never tested the valve that is there to do maintenance or change out the pump. So there I would be pulling the pump for whatever reason with around 80 gallons of water in the sump slowly pouring on the floor.
Taz

is it leaking from the union side? if so check the o-ring make sure it's in their also make sure you dont over tighten it saw many of the union nuts crack

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ham: the valve side is glued to the sump. The water is going fom the sump through the valve and leaking. I originally had the screw on side off then I screwed it onto see if there would be a difference and there wasn't. Good thing, because the valve would be useless if the pump side had to be screwed to it.

I've had the O-ring problem once before, there was no O-ring in a union that I bought years ago and I didn't know any better. Was baffled until I went and looked at another on the shelf and realized there should've been a ring in it...Duh lol

Thanks for your thoughts
Taz

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chopped it off with my sawzall and took it back to lowes today. no receipt, no questions asked and also gave me credit for the extra parts(reducer bushings,coupler) that I couldn't salvage because I glued as one unit! Got the good double union valve now.