• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting

I certainly couldn't from that picture. The 10Ks look much brighter there. It almost looks like the ends of the tank don't have any lights on compared to the middle.

That's almost the opposite of what I've noticed on my tanks.

If they are all the same manufacture it shouldn't make a difference.

Does/Did it look like that in person or did the camera exagerate it somewhat?

Carlo

PS Nice looking tank.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks. Thats what it looked like exactly in person for six months after that. The same thing in my other tank. I have a 10K XM and a 20K XM and the 10K side is brighter, And I don't use any actinics.

I must say I never tried them side by side like that for the visual. I'm really surprised at the way it looks. It really makes me want to try stepping down to 14Ks for the look if it weren't for the fact of the bottom dwellers in my 30" tanks.

While I'm sure it's true that the more blue light the better the penetration I really have to take back what I said earlier about 20K "looking brighter" because they sure don't on your tank.

This got me thinking about the way I compared the bulbs. I had brand new 20Ks but 3 or 4 month old comparison bulbs. I'd imagine the new 20Ks would give off more light and do remember them looking brighter but maybe that was due to the other bulbs getting older. I wouldn't think 3 or 4 months would make that much difference to the eye but I guess I got "tricked" by my little experiment.

Having the same age and manufacture bulbs side by side like your tank sure does set the facts pretty straight!

Thanks,
Carlo

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've been experimenting with bulbs like thes for a long time. Never had 3 of the same bulbs at once . I can't find the look I want. I do like the groth and looks of the XM 10K tho. My SPS's are more colorful under them.

mikem said:
I've been experimenting with bulbs like thes for a long time. Never had 3 of the same bulbs at once . I can't find the look I want. I do like the groth and looks of the XM 10K tho. My SPS's are more colorful under them.

Are you using any supplemental lighting?

10k is on the white side, very bright and gives good growth.
20k is blue, not as much as say antinics, but helps out for color popping, has slower growth then a 10k. Some people say it is "brighter" meaning the colors in the tank pop out more then with 10k.

14k to me is like having a PC 50/50. It giives decent growth with decent color pop.

Hope that helps.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
GregW said:
mikem said:

Are you using any supplemental lighting?
No supplements.