• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for volunteers

I'm looking for someone to give me a hand designing my sump and the plumbing. I've be on all forums getting advice and now my head is spinning. I'm getting all different comments, "your pumps too small, you don't have enough flow, etc." I just thought if some one was willing, we could get together face to face some evening or weekend and hash out the whole thing. You could come to my house and see what I had in mind. I need help with sump baffles (quanity and arrangement), sump plumbing and flow. So, if anyone is willing, let me know. I'm in central nj. 08846

Thanks.

cmsurfr22 said:
I just did a lot of research on sumps and refugiums and i came up with the following design for my 210

I have two pumps for returns they are plumbed externally to keep the temperature down. i have one other pump for my skimmer that is also plumbed externally.

What size tank do you have? what make? and how many overflows do you have?

I'm setting up a Perfecto 120g (60x18x26). I have one Life Reef HOB overflow rated at 700 gph. I was going to use a Mag 9.5 pump as my return pump. I have about 7ft. of head loss so I'm figuring that my flow from the Mag 9.5 will be about 650 gph. I was going to use two MaxiJet 1200's for the additional flow. I also have a DIY skimmer that will be external to the sump. The sump will be in my garage. I was thinking of plumbing the two pumps externally for heat also. The sump is 29g. Should the first baffle in the sump the gets the overflow water be raised off the bottom of the sump or placed all the way down to the bottom of the sump? Here's some attachments.

Attachments

• DSCN0098.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 96
  • sump layout.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 91
have you thought about a refugium? the benifits of a refugium are huge for your tank i would have at least a 10 gallon refugium.

i think with all those elbows you will be fine, just make sure to use at least 1 inch PVC of PVC flex so u get the most out of ur mag 9.5.
they test the pumps using 1.5 inch flex PVC but i did my own test with 1.25 & it had way more flow then when i used 1.5 flex PVC, but i figure 1 inch was just what i needed & it was.
try to use the bigest sump u can fit in ur garage,
as for the sump baffles you can go either way just make sure u have them at least 2 inch apart so the water with the microbubbles flows & it does not get pushed.