• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Low Alk

So i've been having a problem with low alk for a little while. it regularly reads in the KH 3-5 range. I'm assuming this is also affecting my pH. I've been adding Kent Superbuffer dKH, and this helps, but doesn't seem to last very long. I also dose with Reef Vital DNA, Kent Coral-Vite, Essential Elements, and Liquid Calcium. Anyone have an idea to keep the alk up? or perhaps just another buffer to try? it just seems i'm going through the buffer fast. Corals and coraline seem to be growing like crazy, so i think i'm really just looking for an opinion on a good alk buffer

today's readings are

KH 3.2
Ca 450
Mg 1300
(above are Salifert)
pH 7.8- meter

Thanks

Red

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What kind of salt are you using? With Reef Crystals we tend to have an alk of around 4 (11.2 dkh) but a low side of PH of around 8. A change in salt may help a little. Billy has good alk & ph readings with Tropic Marin Pro.

Right now i'm using coralife scientific grade. I really liked Crystal Sea's Bioassay Lab formula, but it's harder to find. I'll have to pick up some TM and check it out.

and just to clarify, my dKH is at 3.2 so Alk would be 1.2 meq/L

thanks
Red

BigRed,

Clarify something for us. You said 3-5 KH. Do you really mean 3-5 meq/l or did you mean dKH? What test kit are you using for alk? What type of digital meter are you using for pH and have you recently calibrated it? If so what solutions did you use to calibrate it with?

If the result you get for alk is in meg/l then you are right where you want to be but if it's dKH then you are way, way low on alk. So low in fact I'd be surprised you could keep your pH at even 7.8.

There are a couple of things you can do to help with your pH and alk but let's clarify the reading first since it seems odd.

Carlo

Carlo,

The alk reading yesterday was 3.2dKH or 1.14 meq/L
It's a Salifert test
The pH meter is a Hanah Pen type. I calibrated it last week with their solutions at 4,7, and pH 10

that all make sense?
Alk is WAY low
Red

Yes everything makes sense from what you have said but I would think your pH would be even lower then it is. Having a pH of 7.8 with low alk but still having good calcium and mag readings is very unusual.

I would suggest picking up another brand of alk test kit before doing anything just to verify your readings. A cheap test kit like API or Red Sea will work fine for alk. I use the API myself all the time as it's easy. Each drop you add to the vial is 1 dKH (super simple).

What is your total water volume in your system?
How much salt do you have on hand? Coralife salt is probably amoung the worst salts out there. I used a bucket that was given to me to make ice cream with it. :)

Do you have the ability to drip anything? If not the next time you go to a LFS pick up a kent drip system ($20 or so). You can of course also make something pretty easily if you are handy.

How would you feel about dripping kalk/lime water to help with you alk and pH? This is the ideal way to maintain levels of alk and calcium (they are balanced) while still boosting pH which would be good for you. You would be able to stop adding the calcium supplement this way. Even if you were to drip a kalk solution we still need to manually get your alk up so it is balanced with your calcium.

There is no need to purchase pH/alk buffers. Do you have any baking soda (ie. Arm & Hammer) around the house? If not pick up a box at the grocery store and let us know when you have it.

Carlo

Red, I was using an A-B (two part) solution calixmax by Werner marine (maintains calcium and AK very well), then ran out and started to use the Superbuffer DKH like you. It works but you need to add it everytime you top off...

Well I'm back to the A-B solution but this time it's with Kent's Tech CB. I'll add it every morning until Notice a steady balance, then cut back to dosing 3 times a week.

Bottom line just go with a two part solution. Maintaining the AK and CA levels are much easier that way.

Erik