• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lucky Power Outage?

Well we just had a power outage earlier tonight and luckily it only lasted 1 1/2 hours. Naturally I suffered through it, not knowing when the power would return. The power returned before any damage was done and when the lights came on I was able to see all kinds of critters I've never seen in the tank before. Made for an exciting experience.

I hope there isn't a next time but if there is I'll have a camera nearby.

malulu

NJRC Member
you no need to wait for next time...

just get your camera ready, then call your significant other(s) to ready with a flash light and hit THAT BIG BREAKER switch!! :eek:

just make sure you wait for about 30 mins or so before tripping it back on... need long enough time to let your actor/actress (critters) to come out for the big show...! ;D

Anyone know about how long we'd have before things would start going wrong? Guess those battery powered pumps/powerheads are a good investment.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Chase, Cool that you got to experience the tank "after dark". You definitely see some great stuff at that hour.

Ed, how long depends a lot on how stocked/overstocked your main tank is (not taking into consideration your sump volume) and what fail overs, if any, you have for your system. A lightly stocked system can go hours with no worry while an hour in a heavily stocked tank could take out all of the inhabitants. A powerhead on a UPS is a good idea, especially if it is breaking the water surface (hence allowing for gas exchange).

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
UPS = Uninterrupted Power Supply. It's like a mini generator or battery backup. You plug it into the wall and then plug your appliances into it. In the event of a power failure, the UPS will kick on and keep your appliances running - uninterrupted. How long that lasts depends on the size of the UPS and how much you are running from it.

malulu

NJRC Member
When a power outage occured, my system setup with a air-pump tied to a power-head will stay on.

here is the setup:
I have one TUNZE power-head on an UPS all the time (1500W for computer usage stuff)

also have a DYI *something* - when the power went out, the outlet that normally off, will now be on (also drawing juice from the UPS), and have one small air pump connect to it right now, can add more equipments if i ever get a bigger UPS (a heater or a fan would be my next choice).

malulu

NJRC Member
you can get something like this:
http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=23

a friend of mine own an ISP (Internet Service Provider) company, he said for all of the UPS unit he used, the APC has the best services, the price may be a bit higher than other competitors, but when ever you have trouble, you call them they and will send in a replacement right away...