• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

making a refugium

Hey everyone,

just remembered I have a 38 gal at my aunts house, left it there years ago.
It has a mirrored background, it was made that way. It was the tank I used when I got into this hobby. I would make a excellent refugium/sump. I have a question though, can it be drilled, the mirrored side? And it that necessary?

edwin

why drill it...you don't wanna hurt the tank that got you all into this lol is it real glass or like spray paint? and i think you only need to drill the tank if the type of pump your using needs it that way

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure about drilling the mirrored back. I wouldn't risk drilling another tank without being 100% sure that it's not tempered.

How are you using the fuge? Will it drain into your tank or sump, or be under the tank?

I plan on putting it under my tank and using it as a sump/fuge. It can be that right? I want to replace my current w/d filter. I've had it for 10 years now I think. Boy I've been in this hobby a long time, lol
edwin

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Then you defintely don't need to drill it. You can just run a drain down to it and have an internal pump for the return. I would assume your wetdry works the same way? So it will probably be an easy transition.