• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Making RODI (and algae problem)

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
For the past 6 months I had been battling a low level but increasing algae concern. I made the assumption that it was due to leeching from some of my rock.

Was making my own water with an RODI unit. I used a standard setup which includes a carbon filter, micro membrane, and de-ionizing unit. The point of this is to remove all potential contaminants (total dissolved solids (TDS)) from the water.
Why? Any dissolved solid from municipal supply contains potentially harmful contaminants which may lead to growth of various algae or may potentially threaten your tank. Tap water may contain a screen reading of hundreds of TDS, whereas the RODI we want to put in our tanks should be at 0 (before adding salt).
So we use a RODI (Reverse Osmosis De-Ionizing) unit which removes all contaminants and drops the TDS to 0. These units often have an optional TDS meter which may be purchased to monitor the unit and ensure it it working properly.Or, you can order a unit to test the water manually.

I was making water without a TDS indicator built in.
I was using a hand held RODI tester to test water whenever I made it.
After a year of all being well I stopped using it, because I got lazy.

After this 6 month battle, a tank change, and continued algae growth, I investigated.
My RODI, even with new filters, was producing RODI water with 40-80 TDS.
I was using the same batch of DI resin throughout this time (which I got cheap).
I changed out the resin with brand new resin I ordered off the net.
My RODI dropped to 0-1 TDS.

Seems I had a bad batch of DI resin initially and I was using it for months, feeding the algae in my tanks.
So, I'd advise checking the TDS manually on a regular basis if you do not have an in-line indicator.
I'd also advise purchasing verified or positively reviewed DI resin - cheap does not mean effective.
I ran a batch of water tonight using the previously ordered 'cheaper' resin, and my TDS was at 72.
I refilled the resin with a new quality (and more expensive, by $3) resin and my TDS was at 0.

Take home message...
If you're running a RODI change all filters as required, and don't get lazy testing TDS.
If you're refilling de-ionizing cartridges manually, don't skimp on the resin, buy a decent product.

Last edited:

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Thanx mark @Mark_C for the info. Bulk reef supply has a black Friday sale on the rodi cartriges (sediment, gac, carbon block, di) in case you want to stock up. Just placed an order for some refills yesterday

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Mark_C I change my DI every time I change my carbon and filter (I buy the kit) I tried waiting until it change color but then Im left with parts from the kit sitting there. I have an un-open bag of DI from BRS. Your more than welcome to have it.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks for the responses guys.
As you can tell, as the article was in the 'Share and Learn section' I went over a few RODI basics in case someone reading this for the first time was new to the RODI area.
My problem wasn't changing the DI media, which I changed on a regular basis as soon as it showed brown.
The problem was the media I was using was not doing its job, so even when it was still green, I was getting considerable TDS.
I had stopped using my meter and relied upon the resin color but, with a bad batch of resin, things went bad even though the resin color seemed OK.
So, obviously, all resins are not equal.

I'll be checking TDS on a regular basis from this point forward and buying quality resin (though Tigs hooked me up today with a couple months worth (thanks Tigs)).

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
no problem @Mark_C and thanks for the UV filter. After a long day of running around and everything else I just finished doing water changes and installing the UV filter.

C

charterreefer

Just curious... was the resin you were using moist, clumping and sticking together? The resin won't work properly if it is allowed to dry out.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Nope, I bought a bad resin. Color was good, was not clumping. Changed it on regular basis based on color.
In laziness I never checked the TDS.
The RESIN ITSELF WAS BAD.

So, the point of this is that...
If you are using RODI,
and you have algae,
and you are changing your resin as you should,
and you are changing your filters,
and you are doing everything right,
BUT you got/are lazy and NOT checking the TDS,
perhaps you should,
you may just have a bad batch of resin.

Last edited: