• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mantis shrimp removal

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, did any of this work? I have to get my mantis out of my tank as i swear that it's killing my fish....just yesterday my firefish went MIA

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We had to pull everything out and find his hidey hole. That is really the hardest part, finding out where they are hiding and then you can either just remove that piece or seal it over. They are tricky little guys.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
We had to pull everything out and find his hidey hole. That is really the hardest part, finding out where they are hiding and then you can either just remove that piece or seal it over. They are tricky little guys.
i know where the SOB is...all the way at the bottom. me doing that will mean me pulling everything out :ohnoes:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You can try a trap, but they are really hit or miss. It would be a good starting point if you don't want to take everything out.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
maybe get a small soda bottle, cut and invert the top and stick it back in to make the trap, weigh it down with some rocks and put some food in it, and stick it in front of his hole for the night, might work. I've caught many shrimp as well as other snails and inverts doing this.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
You can try a trap, but they are really hit or miss. It would be a good starting point if you don't want to take everything out.
i really don't....honestly with all the work i put in, if i have to take it down im afraid i may not set it up again :(

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
maybe get a small soda bottle, cut and invert the top and stick it back in to make the trap, weigh it down with some rocks and put some food in it, and stick it in front of his hole for the night, might work. I've caught many shrimp as well as other snails and inverts doing this.
thanx art...i actually have one lying around (that i used on another tank) ....it can't hurt at this point