• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

May be setting up a horse tank

My wife wants a "reef tank" of her own and I think that I may suprise her with a sea hrose tank. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with sea horses or what they require. I was thinking about a nano cube so I don't have to worry about the lights or skimmer. Can SH be housed with corals or only grasses? What is the maximum water area per SH? Any help would be great.

i have been researching the seahorse tank idea recently, and check out the boards on seahorse.org for the most information. I'm sure panmanmatt will chime in, hes the seahorse guy around here. What I've gathered is you want a taller tank, as the SH's like the height. But I haven't gone and tried a tank yet.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok I'll try to be brief and answer some of your questions about seahorses.

I was thinking about a nano cube so I don't have to worry about the lights or skimmer.

The nanocube is not the best option but it is do able if that is what you really want. We recommend a minimum of a 29 gallon tank for most species of seahorse. Like Bill mentioned, height is more important than length. Seahorses need the extra height for their courtship dances. We usually recommend 2-3x the height of the seahorse in tank height. Average size for a seahorse is 8-9inches.
Seahorse don't require any special lighting, and skimmers are a highly debated topic in the seahorse world. Personally I have tanks with and without skimmers.
Can SH be housed with corals or only grasses?

Both are acceptable. As far as corals, try to stick with soft corals such as leathers, zoos, 'shrooms that sort of stuff. LPS can sting and kill a seahorses or at least cause a nasty infection that can kill the SH. SPS require too much flow, light and temps that aren't ideal for SH's.

By grasses I assume you mean macroalgaes. Or are you talking true sea grasses? Macros work great, seagrasses require a mature DSB of at least 5 inches and usually MH lighting.

What is the maximum water area per SH?

There really is no maximum. As long as the horses get enough to eat and you can keep an eye on them, you can keep them in as large a tank as you'd like. I personally know folks with 100+ gallon SH tanks. The 29 gallon would comfortably hold 2 pair of seahorses as long as you keep up with the water quality.

Speaking of water quality, SH are fairly tolerant. They don't require SPS pristine waters, yet they aren't as tolerant as a FOWLR tank either. Usually 0 ammonia,0 trites and <20 trates work fine. Ph 8.2, temp 73-76, SG 1.020-1.025.
Feel free to check out www.seahorse.org for more info on keeping these wonderful animals. There is a lot of info on that site so it should answer just about any questions you may have. If you can't find an answer, then feel free to post here or contact me and I'll gladly help with what I can.

If either odf you are going to this months meeting I would be glad to answer any other questions if time permits. I know Rich has quite a bit scheduled so we'll have to see. Also my girlfriend will most likely be coming along and she can help field questions also.