• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

McCosker trouble

So one of the fish I had been told that would be compatible with my tank and other fish was a McCosker Wrasse. I got one today from ACC. Got him home, acclimated and then did a drip. All went well until he met my Midnight Dottyback. The Wrasse took over the Dottybacks cave and chases him away now. The Dottyback went to other areas but the Wrasse seems to always want to peck at him. I called ACC to see about swapping him for the other fish I was going to get a Purple Firefish they just got in and all I got was well fish are like people one never knows, we will take him back at 40% of your purchase from today. Guess that's the last fish I get there.

The Dottyback paired very well with my clown and do not want to loose either of those. So what are some options I have here? I was thinking of running to the petstore and get a box to throw him in to segregate him for a while . Going to be a real pain to get him netted. Most likely need to remove all the rocks to do so.

I did add a new rock in the corned that made another new cave hoping that the dottyback will nest in there. The Wrasse just seems to be an ass. Only thing is my Clown is coming to the Wrasse and pushing him away from the dottyback.

I just don't want the Dottyback to start hiding all the time and eventually die

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Sometime fish can be hit or miss with each other. If the wrasse is really going after the dottyback and not leaving him alone then you should look to get them seprated. If the wrasse only chase him once in awhile and/or when the dotty is near the wrasse you might be able to let them work it out; I done that with a couple of my fish. Again can be hit or miss just a suggestion. I know that at times mirror works for tangs but not sure about wrasse.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I was going to suggest mirror and rearrange or add rocks.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Aquarium Care Center

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
So one of the fish I had been told that would be compatible with my tank and other fish was a McCosker Wrasse. I got one today from ACC. Got him home, acclimated and then did a drip. All went well until he met my Midnight Dottyback. The Wrasse took over the Dottybacks cave and chases him away now. The Dottyback went to other areas but the Wrasse seems to always want to peck at him. I called ACC to see about swapping him for the other fish I was going to get a Purple Firefish they just got in and all I got was well fish are like people one never knows, we will take him back at 40% of your purchase from today. Guess that's the last fish I get there.

The Dottyback paired very well with my clown and do not want to loose either of those. So what are some options I have here? I was thinking of running to the petstore and get a box to throw him in to segregate him for a while . Going to be a real pain to get him netted. Most likely need to remove all the rocks to do so.

I did add a new rock in the corned that made another new cave hoping that the dottyback will nest in there. The Wrasse just seems to be an ass. Only thing is my Clown is coming to the Wrasse and pushing him away from the dottyback.

I just don't want the Dottyback to start hiding all the time and eventually die
John from ACC here- Hate to see your fish die please bring him back and we will work out a full credit for you. We offer a 40% back to anyone even if you do not buy fish at store as a standard but this sounds a bit trying and we would love to help. We will put the fish into our hospital for a spell. When you get to store let them know about this message. Keep up the good work!

Aquarium Care Center

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
@Aquarium Care Center - John that is really nice of you to do that for him.
Thank you Diana. We have some rules at ACC so members make good decisions and do not feel like we can take the fish or coral right back without some cost. In this case the fellow is really trying to make a go of it and I respect that. hate that he said he was not going to shop at ACC anymore but lets hope he comes back.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Nice offer John. Fish are hit and miss as we all know, some work out and others don't.

Thanks John, I really wish when I called AAC and the manager that answered had the same response. Owning 2 business of my own I always will give the shop a chance to work something out. I tried to net him last night to separate him and that didn't happen. It looks as the only way to get him netted is to pull ALL my rock out. All are embedded into the sand so that's going to be a mess. Not a fun situation I am sitting in.

An update on the fish though, He has ate this morning, had been somewhat OK with the other fish. They seem to be actively swimming and at times dont bother eachother. So question is do I piss them all off by trying to capture him OR try to let them settle in with eachother? I created 2 new caves with some spare rock and the Dottyback has hung around them a little.

Bot587

NJRC Member
I agree with Mrx. Unless there is noticeable damage to the dottyback from the harassment. Otherwise, let them work it out. Removing all the rock will definitely cause stress to everything. "Path of least resistance."

That said, I am at Aquarium Care Center every weekend. They have been nothing short of great with everything I have asked / purchased. Figured I would drop some good PR for them, after all the help they have given.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@Kovacjr Hope they settle in and get along. It would diffently be a shame to have to tear the whole tank apart to catch the fish. Not good for everyone.

@Bot587 Sort of welcome to the forum even though you are a member since 2016. Come to one of our monthly meetings! It's always nice to put a face to a name/avatar

Bot587

NJRC Member
I will definitely have to at some point. I always swing through and read posts haha. Next one in the area I will try to bring the fam to. (Down in Brick)

Well an update on the Wrasse, He seems to have acclimated a little better with the Dottyback. They still swim in circles chasing sometimes. But all in all neither of them have bitten each other that i can see damage from and there is no fin damage. The Wrasse has openly swam more and have flashed a bit here and there too. Also eating normally both frozen and flake.

Awesome. The mccoskers is a beautiful fish. This reminds me that I included one in my original stocking plan before impulsivity took over! Great choice!

Well a month in and the Wrasse has been good. Took a few days to chill out but they all get along now. Added a Diamond Goby yesterday and hes doing well. Needed someone to keep up on the sand, maybe more sand then I hoped. Haha. Ill never do the Oolite sand again.