• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MH bulb burst while on 3 day vacation

I just got back after being away on vacation from Wednesday to Saturday. My wife performed a top-off for me on Friday. She didn't feed the fish but they were fine. They were all okay and at well today when I fed them. The tank was a little dirty though moreso than normal. I don't understand because the only thing I would have done during the three days was clean the glass. The one big problem was a MH bulb which burst. Luckily only a few glass fragments fell into the tank and most of it remained intack. I was able to unscrew the remaining piece and remove. Other than that all else seems to be fine.

Well I am glad to hear everything is ok.. and no one got hurt, especially your wife. Can you tell why the bulb burst?

I have no idea how or why it burst. I will need to do some investigations in hopes of preventing this in the future. Tank has been up and running for over 5 months. MH sits in between two VHO lights which are closer to the water. Lights sit anywhere from 6 to 8 inches from the water surface. I'll let you know if I find anything out. Now looking for a new lamp in another post.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Splash is a pretty typical reason for a MH burst. Could be caused by anything from a fish jumping out of the water to a powerhead kicking up the surface to shaking your hand after feeding the fish. Unless it was a fish/PH issue, the cause and effect is usually quite dramatic.