• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

MH fixture went bad - should I use a CF back-up while waiting?

As above, my aqua-medic fixture blew-up this morning. It had been sparking some, so I figured the ballast was bad. I ordered a new one, set to arrive tomorrow.

Well, of course, the sparks really few this morning, and the light stopped working. I took it apart and saw that one of the end-caps turned to cinders.

So, I called aqua-medic. They're going to overnight new end-caps to me, on my nickel (ouch).

In the meantime, I was about to set up a 10 gallon planted tank. I have a 40 watt compact-fluorescent fixture for it. Should I put that over my tank while I wait a day, or would that cause more trouble than it's worth?

I have a ~28 gallon ADA cube, which I normally run a 250 watt 14K bulb over. Would the corals be better off with no light, or a tiny bit for a day.

Thanks!

i'm sure corals can go without light more than a day -the clarity/turbidity of water changes a lot over the course of a year and I wouldn't sweat 24 hrs of no light. Not to mention cloudcover/rain/hurricanes etc.

THanks... I guess I'm a little overly stressed these days. :-[ They should be fine. Wish me luck; I'll be rewiring my fixture tomorrow. ;D