• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Microbubbles in display tank

arvin

NJRC Member
I hooked up the display tank to the basement sump and ran the pump briefly. I got tonnes of micro bubbles in the display tank. I also noticed leaks in two spots in the plumbing. One was near the pump where I had put some teflon tape earlier. The other one was by the thread near the flexible tubing (about four feet) that connects the return to the tank. I am planning to apply more teflon tape and dope in both places.

Do the leaks cause the bubbles? Can there be any other problem areas that I need to look into? There are no bubbles in the sump.

Another problem I am facing: Usually with the return pumped from under the cabinet I have about 3/4" to 1" between the water line and the top of the tank. With the basement pump being more powerful, the waterline comes dangerously close to the top of the tank.

From what I see, I have two options. One way is to break some teeth by the overflow area to force more flow out of the tank. Another way is to close the ball valve slightly so to reduce the flow to the tank.

What would you recommend?

TIA.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, the air leaks will cause bubbles in you're display tank.
I would put a T and return some of you're water back to the sump. You don't want to restrict the flow coming from you're return pump. It will cause premature pump failure.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can cut the teeth deeper, but that still might not be enough. It worked for a lot of people.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Arvin,

I don't know if I would worry about the water coming close to the top, as long as it's not coming out of the tank...why worry? But if it's just piece of mind you can throttle back the pump using a ball valve.

Or you could t-off of your return and run it directly into your sump and put a ball valve on that. Then leave your pump wide open and throttle back that ball valve until you reach the desired flow in your display. This will be better for your pump.

arvin

NJRC Member
ReefDrumz said:
Arvin,

I don't know if I would worry about the water coming close to the top, as long as it's not coming out of the tank...why worry? But if it's just piece of mind you can throttle back the pump using a ball valve.

Yes, it is simply peace of mind. I have two little percula clowns that come to the top of the water and splash the water (yeah, they think they are shamu).
Moreover, once I was little lazy in cleaning the sock under the cabinet that filters the water goes out of the tank, that nearly spoiled the carpet.
So I dont want to take any chance.

Or you could t-off of your return and run it directly into your sump and put a ball valve on that. Then leave your pump wide open and throttle back that ball valve until you reach the desired flow in your display. This will be better for your pump.

Thats what I am going to do.