• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mixing Kalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have mixed some Kalk and my question is...
After it mixes and settles could I pour the mixture through some cheese cloth or a coffee filter to remove the sediment? This way I can drip dose and avoid clogging or excess kalk in my tank.

Mark

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just pour off the clear liquid and leave all the sediment behind. No cheese cloth, just stop before the sediment pours out.

yep, like phyl said.

it will settle in about an hour so you will see the clear liquid above the settled kalk. I usually add water 2 to 3 times after to use up as much solute as I can

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I mix my kalk in q 5 gallon bucket and use a plastic container to scoop out what liquid I need. My drip container is 1 liter so it is easier for me to dip then it is to pour it off. I replace the water I use with fresh and remix the kalk to use up the sediment.

I use 75-90ml white vinegar per gallon. There is almost no solute (usually none at all). If I add all at once, the pH spike is 0.2 in my 90G.

I do the same I mix it up really good in a one gallon poland springs jug let it settle and syphon all the clear water out from the one jug to the next and leave the sediment behind.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks for all the responses. Never knew you could reuse the sediment another time. I guess I will siphon it off and remix before disposing.

FYI I added a teaspoon in and my Green toadstool polyps popped out after about 3 weeks. So did my Green stars. Maybe it's a coincidence, not sure.

i run a 5 gallon bucket with 10 tsp kalk, mix it for 8 hrs or so let it settle , siphon it out to other 5gal and gravity drip lime water via float 24hrs.. some will advise against it but it works for me. i have a controller to monitor my ph. it also helps keep kh and cal in order for my system with some bionic.

Does anyone add the kalk directly to their top off water? A friend of mine does this and he has never had any problems but I'm unsure if this is a good idea. I travel a lot for work and its difficult to get the wife to dose properly for me so I'm just looking for a method for making it easier for her.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
koneal said:
Does anyone add the kalk directly to their top off water? A friend of mine does this and he has never had any problems but I'm unsure if this is a good idea. I travel a lot for work and its difficult to get the wife to dose properly for me so I'm just looking for a method for making it easier for her.

I do it this way now. I mix it once a week while I turn off my top off. For my top off, I only use an aqua lifter with the tubing crimped on the end, so it's almost a constant drip. Been working well for 2 months now.