• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

More pics of the disaster

P9190384.jpg

P9190382.jpg

P9190381.jpg

Still recovering...and debating on whether or not to just get another tank and start over again.

I moved all the rocks around and the sand bed is all shifted and there is rock all over the tank. More or less the sand bed is destroyed. Not to mention that horrible stack of rocks. I was doing it when the water was very very cloudy. It was brown at one time, so I really think Im going to start pricing new tanks.

Ryan88 said:
I moved all the rocks around and the sand bed is all shifted and there is rock all over the tank. More or less the sand bed is destroyed. Not to mention that horrible stack of rocks. I was doing it when the water was very very cloudy. It was brown at one time, so I really think Im going to start pricing new tanks.

How can you destroy your sandbed and why are you looking at new tanks? Why don't you take some of the rock out and evaluate it.

Ryan, don't be discouraged so quickly. Get yourself some saltwater from Trop (or wherever you get it), take the rock out, place it in a container with some saltwater so it stays wet, and rockscape from the beginning - IF that's what you want to do.

Right now it just looks like you created a wall of rocks, going straight up. You can fix that, just take your time, and go slow. It's normal that you'll create some dust, but it will settle over time.

The critters in your tank should be all right while you re-aquascape, just go SLOWWWWWW.

---
Wendy

I just want to make a nice stack. I see how well everything is rock-scaped and everyone has done such a nice job. I just want to be proud of that.

Ryan, before you take everything out, take a looks at all the rock in your tank. The way you stacked them up you can see what shapes and sizes they are. Place the smaller ones on the bottom, the bigger ones on top so you don't end up with an avalanche. With all that rock you have endless possibilities to aquascape. But if I were you, I wouldn't necessarily use all that rock, it just may be too much. Also, don't put them directly on top of each other because then you'll create another wall. You want them to slope, don't you?

---
Wendy

Yeah thats what I was going for. After lunch Ill take them out and I think Ill stack them outside the tank first so that this way I know what my gameplan is

Go for it. Just make sure no one is near you when re-aquascaping ;D. I got really ticked off when I did mine, but the outcome was better than before.

malulu

NJRC Member
just like Wendy said, take the smaller ones out to a container on the side...
then slowly rearrange it again with big one at the bottom first.

not necessary need to arrange outside of the tank first, cause you won't be able to put it exactly as that when you put it back in, due to some slightly angle placement issue... (unless you want to drill holes on the rock and put something to tie or glue them with some fixed positions first)

in short, don't panic... get a beer, step aside, do something else for a while... then think through a new plan again, you may need to NOT put all rocks back in the tank, and can sell those extra ones later, totally not need a new tank at all.

if you need a hand, or need a extra container for temporary use, and near by me, let me know, i can help.

-david

malulu said:
get a beer,
-david

David - I'm sure you didn't know this or you wouldn't have suggested it- but I am pretty sure Ryan is underage.

Ryan -

How's the clownfish? Inverts?

Anyways - if you're saying it's a disaster because of the aquascaping - i disagree. I would say take your time. The sandbed isn't destroyed simply by swirling it. What happens when a tropical storm blows thru? Think the sand stays the same in the ocean?

As the saying goes " Rome wasn't built in a day".

Oh - and also - this forum - "Tale of the Tank" - is kinda geared for creating ONE thread - and then just posting updates on that thread. Like yours could be called 'Ryan's 30 gallon excellent adventure'...I'm joking but something like that.

If you have a lot of questions and just want to create a new thread - general discussion is probably the best place to do it.

malulu

NJRC Member
phil519 said:
malulu said:
get a beer,
-david

David - I'm sure you didn't know this or you wouldn't have suggested it- but I am pretty sure Ryan is underage.

oops! in that case, get a Coke or Pepsi then... make sure it is a big one, to cool off the heat...
:D