• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Motorcycle owners.

I know it's completely reef unrelated but is anyone here into motorcycles that can give some guidance to someone wanting to get into the world of motorcycles?

@Foxchase I believe this post belongs in the Open Waters form. I used to ride. What kind of advice you looking for? Can't offer any mentorship as I sold both my bikes 2 years ago to afford an engagement ring for the fiancée. Advise is available though.

@Foxchase I believe this post belongs in the Open Waters form. I used to ride. What kind of advice you looking for? Can't offer any mentorship as I sold both my bikes 2 years ago to afford an engagement ring for the fiancée. Advise is available though.
I apologize i didn't know what to put it under. And i guess mainly like, how to begin learning/ how to go about getting the license and such

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I moved the thread. I don't ride but wanted a bike as have family members that all have Harley's. Other than the wife not really wanting me to get one I opted out cause of where I live Brick / Lakewood area. These people are nuts and I see many accidents or close calls and hardly go anywhere. get a nice sports car instead; what I did.

I would highly recommend doing a basic riders course. They teach you how to properly execute most maneuvers you'll need to make and you won't have to worry much about damaging the bike when you drop it. Take your time to look for one as some community colleges offer them for cheap. It was ~$280 when I took mine at a community college that I didn't go to. Harley offers them on weekends. You can also take the course for free on base if you're affiliated with the military. This course includes a helmet and motorcycle to borrow for the course as well as book materials. If you pass the test at the end of the course, they will give you a certificate that lets you get your license at the DMV. From there I would suggest getting a cheap 250 thats already scratched up so you don't care if you drop it. Take it out on weekend mornings and other low traffic times until you're confident enough to drive during regular traffic hours. I would personally wait till you can do everything they teach you at the course without actively thinking about it. A big portion of riding a motorcycle is actively being aware of your surroundings and positioning yourself so idiot car/truck drivers don't kill you.

@MadReefer I live close to the Brick/Lakewood/Toms River intersection. I probably wont continue riding after some close calls with the crazies out here. After moving from Hoboken, I thought I would be safe to ride but there are crazies wherever you go. They're just more spread out here.

Also, ATGAT(look it up). I have friends who have lost so much skin from not wearing gear. Please, just please wear a helmet at the very least even if you're only going at low speeds. Ideally one that is snell rated. Riding is already dangerous enough.

On the off topic- any sailors on this form? Much less risky to me and it's on my bucket list of mastering most modes of transportation.

I moved the thread. I don't ride but wanted a bike as have family members that all have Harley's. Other than the wife not really wanting me to get one I opted out cause of where I live Brick / Lakewood area. These people are nuts and I see many accidents or close calls and hardly go anywhere. get a nice sports car instead; what I did.
I have a mustang that I have a decent amount of mods on so it's pretty quick. Just would like to also get into motorcycles haha

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
After moving from Hoboken...
Ahh, I spent every Thursday from the late 80's and early 90's at Maxwells seeing everyone from GreenDay to the Dead Kennedys, to Black Flag, the Cramps, Ramones (though mostly at CB's), etc...
Felt like crying when they closed the basement down.

Ahh, I spent every Thursday from the late 80's and early 90's at Maxwells seeing everyone from GreenDay to the Dead Kennedys, to Black Flag, the Cramps, Ramones (though mostly at CB's), etc...
Felt like crying when they closed the basement down.
They closed down while I was in college there. Sad times. I used to go there with the guys for 50 cent wings. Lots of the older bars in Hoboken are shutting down.

Salted

NJRC Member
I know it's completely reef unrelated but is anyone here into motorcycles that can give some guidance to someone wanting to get into the world of motorcycles?
Looks like from reading the thread you're looking to get into street bikes. Cruiser types or sport bikes? I've done both but started in the dirt. Raced 125 & 250 amateur motocross and supercross before moving to road racing. No more race bikes on the street for me. Got a custom chopper and go slow on the road now. Way to many inattentive drivers. Best advise I can offer if street riding is your plan is get an inexpensive dirt bike and hone your skills off road first, weather your intention is sport or cruiser .
get a nice sports car instead; what I did.
Very different, but agree cars are much safer.
Also, ATGAT(look it up). I have friends who have lost so much skin from not wearing gear. Please, just please wear a helmet at the very least even if you're only going at low speeds. Ideally one that is snell rated. Riding is already dangerous enough.
Absolutely agree. I always wore full leathers when riding my race bike on the street. Leather or armored nylon jacket, chaps, boots and gloves when on the chopper. You cool off way faster than you heal.
I have a mustang that I have a decent amount of mods on so it's pretty quick. Just would like to also get into motorcycles haha
If you have no experience you have no idea how quick and fast they are, even 600cc race bikes. And v-twins can be made to launch pretty quick too. My viper is fast. My merely supersport prepped race bike would spit it out and laugh. Violent would best describe their personalities.

Looks like from reading the thread you're looking to get into street bikes. Cruiser types or sport bikes? I've done both but started in the dirt. Raced 125 & 250 amateur motocross and supercross before moving to road racing. No more race bikes on the street for me. Got a custom chopper and go slow on the road now. Way to many inattentive drivers. Best advise I can offer if street riding is your plan is get an inexpensive dirt bike and hone your skills off road first, weather your intention is sport or cruiser .

Very different, but agree cars are much safer.

Absolutely agree. I always wore full leathers when riding my race bike on the street. Leather or armored nylon jacket, chaps, boots and gloves when on the chopper. You cool off way faster than you heal.

If you have no experience you have no idea how quick and fast they are, even 600cc race bikes. And v-twins can be made to launch pretty quick too. My viper is fast. My merely supersport prepped race bike would spit it out and laugh. Violent would best describe their personalities.
I know motorcycles are different. I was responding to the "get a fast car" comment. I love the look of the Harley iron 883 (not a fan of the other type of harleys.). I do like riding relatively quick so I'm not sure where to begin looking. I can tear a car apart no problem and a really good amount of knowledge of different types of cars, what they're good at, and specs. But i know nothing about motorcycles.

eli smoke

NJRC Member

Dress for the crash not the ride.
On the off topic- any sailors on this form? Much less risky to me and it's on my bucket list of mastering most modes of transportation.