• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my 50g is embarassing... help me plan a fresh start

Long story short, this was never going to be a reef... but things happen and here it is. 50g seaclear acrylic (ie covered in algea & impossible to remove w/o scratching) tank. It doesn't look like I take care of it but I do use RO/DI and 10g water changes a week, all specs in order, inhabitants are healthy/happy.
amess.jpg

Before you ask:
Yes that is a algea covered fake plant poorly attempting to hide a power head
Yes there are two of those rocks you get a petsmart/petco for freshwater tanks in there (left over from when it was freshwater/brackish tank)
Yes that is a large fake rock structure on the left from when it was fresh/brackish but hey it does have coraline on it now LOL
Yes it still has crushed coral
Yes it looks like I just lumped the LR in there, I didn't however all my pieces are more suited to a nano and are to small
Yes the anemone is taking over, he and the maroon clown are going to be leaving to make room for more zoas/shrooms

The plan:
Since I bought most of the LR before we moved I was just looking for a deal, and I got pieces that are to small and some aiptasia and worse rust/brown flatworms... I plan to treat the tank with FWE and replace the CC with sand. I will remove the two original nonlive rocks and the fake rock thing. The anemone & gsm clown will move out as it has grown about 10x its original size in the 2 months I've had it and is stinging the few other corals I have... I'll go with more zoas/shrooms instead. The problem is the LR I have left will still be small pieces so I'm thinking of getting more the issue is I'm a stay at home mom and my husband doesn't want me spending $ on this anymore... so the most I can sneak is about $100 ;)

I can't decide if I should go with 20lbs of LR from premium aquatics (used them for my 24g and was really happy) or if I should get a 25lb box of http://www.marcorocks.com/default.asp base rock (rave reviews on reefcentral and supposedly since its dry/light 25lbs is closer to 50+lbs once wet). Either way I'll be curing in a seperate tub and in the case of the base rock would add LR to seed. What I think I'd like is for it to have larger interesting pieces of LR, hopefully with more open areas so that I might actually see my green spotted puffer who now only comes out after lights off and hides in the back of the tank all day.

What would you do?

LOL thanks, I can't stand how it looks though ;)

As for photos, I can try some tonight... my camera is a cheap old kodak digital and as you can tell takes awful photos. Here's a couple of the anem & gsm from just before christmas and last week... the thing is out of control
anemthen1.jpg

anemthen2.jpg

anemnow1.jpg

anemnow2.jpg

Even though you have small pieces of LR, thats not a bad thing. You can really use that to your advantage to create a lot of hiding places for things. You can also drill pieces and use plastic coat hangers as dowels and create nice aquascaping like arches. Can also make a little frame out of PVC pipe to make a stand for the rock. I remember seeing a thread where Concept has some pictures of this done.

I myself love anenomes. I would make a nice position for it on a far side with all the conditions that it needs so it stays there. This way it gives you a safe zone for other things. Maybe change out the LTA for a BTA which has shorter arms.

I see your point with the LR when it's in smaller pieces, I already have to many hiding places though... I miss my puffer LOL and I agree it could be very cool to create structures with it (I actually did that with lava rock for a freshwater hex tank I had once... was very cool and the fish, dwarf puffers, loved it) but it was also a royal PIA and I can't imagine doing it with pieces of bristle worm crawling LR... I know I won't do it...especially with my 3 yr old helping... although I might try if I get that dry baserock.. I'd like a neat arch.

As for the anemone, I loved it when it was a cute little bubbletipped thing... but it sure isn't anymore. The previous owner said he thought it didn't like his bright lights as it aways hid, well it sure isn't hiding in mine but I worry its gotten so big because it's trying to absorb more light (ok and my gsm feeds it EVERYTHING even catching the live feeder shrimp I add for my puffer and feeding them to it) I'd rather have the space for more "boring" softies and a smaller colorful fish or two.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Since you have time and aren't rushing anything, why not go with the dry rock and cure it yourself. I used Hi-Rocks.com once (i think they are closed now) it was the same basic thing, dry rock, really cheap to buy.

The tank looks nice, just a little cramped. Good luck with the Flatworms, it can be a tough battle to win! If you haven't read it already, I would use a triple dose of FWE.

That anemone looks great! Maybe you can just try and get it to stay on the bottom of the rockwork, this way it would give you some more real estate up top.

malulu

NJRC Member
Candi,

regarding the anemone, it is going to be tough, i have a hug RBTA, after i rearranging my tank, i put it @ the bottom, tied it with tiny string on a rock, it some how still escaped and then roll around like a ball until it find some other place it like then start to attach, and slowly moving up... i am now to a point that really thinking about get rid of it (it is about 8 by 12 in side!)

i have some LR (in my tank) can sell to you for $3 per LB.
i can give you 2 or 3 hairy mushroom for free.

let me know and good luck.
thx

-David
Green Brook, NJ 08812

Thank you David, I'll keep your offer in mind once I decide exactally what I want to do... as for Ginger (gsm) and her anemone, I think I'm most likely going to part with them... I have a feeling she'd crawl right back where she is, I tried this past week to move the rock she is on down and she edged back up on it, I tried to place some flat rocks around her to keep her from stinging other corals and she reaches over them and/or the gsm knocks them down... both are a bit of a PIA LOL

I think my eventual goal will be some larger pieces of LR, anemone & gsm out, once I get a oceanic cube someday and the puffer is out then a couple smaller colorful fish like a goby, maybe a black & white clown... shrimp or two. Sort of like a bigger but simpler version of my 24g aquapod (which I'm really happy with, but is jammed full.. will try to get some photos up if I can get a decent shot with my camera)

ReeferNets said:
Your anemone is hungry or doesnt have enough light candy. When they stretch light that they are reaching for something.

You know I think you're right... which was my concern in the first place with it (I posted on the anemone forum of RC also)... I know its eating enough but I think it needs more light... however I can't figure out why it's not moving closer to the light instead of just stretching, although it does seem to REALLY like the rock it found (probably the neatest one in my tank, go figure). I'm going to get some more photos of it, the rock it's on, and the GSM and post them tomorrow or this week FS/FT to hopefully find it a better home where it will be happier :) I was just looking at it and it actually looks like it's about to split, goign to try to move it up closer to the light tonight to see it that helps.

They will usually find a spot they like for water current and a good footing to bury their trunk. From that spot they will spread out depending on the light. Think of it as a solar panel. The bigger the panel, the more light it can absorb.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tank looks good Candi. I have plenty of big pieces of rock for you're new project. I'm looking to re-aquascape and you can give me that little push I need.