• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My New 55 Reef Pic

The tank has been up about a week, it has 70 lbs of LR and 40 Lbs of LS. Running an emp 400 and Coralife Skimmer 65. Had to throw a pirate ship in to keep the wife off my back.lol But it will probably look cool when everything starts to grow in. Plan on putting a HOB fuge in, any suggestions?

Looking good . Ths ship should look real nice once it gets encrusted with coraline and corals . I always wanted to see (and do) a reeftank with those plane decorations in it all grown out . Welcome to the site.

Nice aqua scaping man. It wonders me how you got the pile on the right to stand lol. You've got a lot of nice stacks that will be perfect for corals. Hows your water quality?

Thanks for the comments. It took me sometime to arrange the rock to get it where I wanted it. The rock all the way to the right is actually 2 pieces that had some crazy cut outs in making it easy to stack. I'm happy with it, as for the water quality. It has been running for a week and my test as of last night were:

ammonia less than .25
nitrite 1.0
nitrate 20
salinity 1.023
ph 7.9 (I've been keeping my lights off)

The rock is partially cured that i got from my LFS (2 fellow reefers work there, they are great xavier and phish guy) and LS. I haven't seen a big ammonia spike yet, maybe I won't. Looks like I have to wait to see the nitrite come down a bit. But the weird thing is my nitrate is slowly rising??

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike35019 said:
But the weird thing is my nitrate is slowly rising??

Nothing weird here. Typical cycle. First the ammonia bacteria move in and start to metabolize the ammonia to nitrite. Than the nitrite bacteria move in and convert the nitrite to nitrate. And eventually ammonia and nitrate drop to zero and you have a cycled tank.

Wow the rockwork turned out great. Looks like the perfect mix of shelves and other rock. Nice job.
As for the hob fuge i would try to see if someone is selling a used aquaclear 110 (old name is 500). they are a great size and work perfectly.

looking good mike. i have a modded aquaclear 110 for when you're ready. like redfishbluefish said, typical cycle. also i did see a reef with a coraline/coral encrusted ship. it looked pretty cool.

SOunds good Steve I'm interested in the 110. How much do you want for it? ALso can I get the Chaeto from your work? Can I add the fuge to the tank during the cycle. Let me know thanks Mike

make me an offer for the aquaclear, all you'll need is a small light. i got something else for ya to help seed the tank. give me a call sometime tro come pick them up. PMd ya my number.