• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Nano 10gallon coral update.

Hello to all, just want to start by saying last month's meeting was my 1st and it was a blast I've gotten a few corals from mad reefer and they are doing great. I did unfortunately lose my Duncan coral. May have been temp related but will be looking for a new Duncan this time with more heads. One thing I did read that seemed consistent in the info was they do much better as a frag with 3 or more heads. Anyway here is a link to how well the tank looks
Watch "Progress on the new corals" on YouTube

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
What pumps are you running? It seems like a ton of flow in that tank

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I believe that pinky/orange with white tips is called a ball anemone. 95% sure it is but a little hard to give 100% because of the water flow is very high. It most likely wasn't your hermit crab that was causing the damage to the zoas you relocated. They are largely harmless in my experience, but can sting some corals. You can injected them with lemon juice, or cover it with kalk paste if you want to get rid of them. They can reproduce to plague proportions

The pump is the same jebao ow 10 . The waves are ramped dynamicly throughout the day. Those zoas were doing great there since Rap, but that crab really liked that ledge I didn't see it happen but I imagine the hermit trampled it and picked at it or just damaged it enough to be blown away. Tank can be set and fed and left so for about 3 days minimal feeding lower dynamic wave setting and sorta overcasted day in the lighting. What I call auto pilot.
The crab has been in the tank the longest in a sense he's the king crab and has had his territory cut considerably. He had killed 3 or 4 out of 6 additional hermit crabs placed in the tank since Rap. The king hermit crab is about as old as the tank 2.5 3 yrs old. Lol
I appreciate the input the real mystery critters in the tank are purplish mass kinda looks like a sponge and the black spiky/pimpley mass.1536168627134964668046.jpg 15361686888841157732173.jpg I have no idea what they are but think that they are alive. Any ideas?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
As I said before, I believe you have ball anemones. Your powerhead is blasting most of them. At one point in your video an area not getting too much flow on them is where I see it fully extended of your "Pom poms" as you call it

Lol thanks but I wasn't a talking about the anemones I know there all over but are you saying the purple spongy material is also a anamoes? If so even when the tank was at a stand still for a few hours it still looked like a sponge. The first picture in the center that's the purple spongy thing I reefer too lol

The flow in the tank has been like this for months. I see the most difference in the hrs be for the lights go back on when the tank is sleeping everything is tucked in. That's wen the flow is steady but overturns the slowest

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Lol thanks but I wasn't a talking about the anemones I know there all over but are you saying the purple spongy material is also a anamoes? If so even when the tank was at a stand still for a few hours it still looked like a sponge. The first picture in the center that's the purple spongy thing I reefer too lol

No I wasn't referring to the blackish looking thing in the tank. Can you take a photo without the blue lights on of the item in question?

I have had the anemones for about as long as the tank has been running the only mystery I see or at least no of lately lol is the mystery purple sponge and the other black mass sponge thingy lol other then those I'm confident to say the dynamic lighting and flow rate coupled with the overturn rate in the tank is part of its success.
The battle will be maintaining water nutrients as the corals will soon compete when they get to full sections as already the micro funa compete for the foods. The tank is actually well balanced with a slow increase so as to push growth. my main day to day concern is usually the water evap and the temp. 1536171562954926564319.jpg 15361716293171719529784.jpg i will try for a better shot but that is the thing from 2 angles

This purple sponge thing I'm pretty sure might be a sponge.
The other thing I am calling spiky and black is in a different location from the purple sponge and the black mass is completely different and has me stumped lol

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
This purple sponge thing I'm pretty sure might be a sponge.
The other thing I am calling spiky and black is in a different location from the purple sponge and the black mass is completely different and has me stumped lol
It's the other thing she's referring to. The spiky thing above your sponge. Ball nems have a nasty sting and could be the cause of your coral issues if you have enough of them

I know the anemones can sting but there are 3 critters that have been mixed up . We know what the anemones there look like but I think you might have missed the image of the spiky black mass due to my bad images lol bit hard to take pics but the anemones I know could be a problem. The anemones are a pink green white and translucent color and are not my mystery critter lol
Thanks for the input sorry to confuse. I was only asking what the purple sponge might be if it was a sponge and what also might be the spiky black mass
They are 2 separate things and are deffinatly not anemones lol I wish I could get better pics I will try again later.