• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help with refugium!

I have a pro clear wed/dry filter and I want to add a 10 gallon refugium on the other side of the wet/dry. What is the best way to tie these two units together. I am eventually getting rid of my bio balls. I want to know shoild I drill a bulkhead into both and pipe them together. If so how high etc. Please any suggestions. I want to keep the wet/dry cause it's a great place to put my skimmer and such. Please help me . Thanks

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We had a similar setup a while ago. The way we plumbed it was to have the 10g fuge up on a small platform so that it was a little higher than the wet/dry. I put 2 bulkheads in the fuge (one about an inch higher than the other to act as a backup) and ran 3/4" vinyl hose back to the W/D. I placed a maxijet 600 in the W/D and ran a piece of 1/2" vinyl hose from the maxijet into the fuge through a hole slightly higher than the highest bulkhead. The end of the 1/2" hose was pushed quite a bit into the fuge and was sitting below the water level. I drilled a small hole in the the 1/2" hose just below the water level to prevent back-siphoning.

It was probably not the best way to do it but it worked very well. We used it that way for over a year and never had any problems at all with it.