• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need some Advice with anemone

Hey Guys
I recently picked this anemone from the store. When I bought him i was told it's a carnation anemone. I did some searches last few days and really didn't come up with any useful information. I have been feeding him mysis shrimp and Rod's food. I also been trying to get him to host the clowns. So I was hoping I might get some advice on how to take care of this guy and also how to get the clowns to take a liking to him. I do appreciate any advice. I am just starting out on this hobby so I apologize in advance for any lack of knowledge.

Voila...

i hate to say it but it looks like it is missing some color...

p1120158jf3.jpg

It looks like a BTA. Possibly dyed. Not necessarily though. Some BTAs look like that color naturally. It looks like it is in good shape. I would just feed it a few times per week just to be safe. As for the clown hosting. What clowns do you have? False percs I am guessing. This is not it's natural host anemone. It will be 50-50 if it hosts in it. There are ways to "force" the issue.

1) Remove fish and nem and place in close quarters.
2) Some people say put a picture of a clown hosting in a nem right by tank so your fish can learn from picture
3) have patience. Maybe the bond tomorrow, maybe 6 months, maybe never.

Thanx Hawkeye. Also guys thanx for the advice. I have a pair of true's. I have been feed them close to the anemone. Today actually one of the clowns took the food right off from the anemone, so I hoping this is a good sign. What you guys think? Still open to more suggestions..thank you in advance.

Give it time. True percs is better chance but can take a few months (or not at all like I said before). Sounds like yours is ok with the nem and will eventually explore it. Have patience is only advice I can give.

The base is yellow and it has yellowish tentacles corret?

Purple tips on each tentacle.

Most likely it is a dyed sebea anemone. depending on the dye job they look the same when first brought in and stressed. Yellow is not a natural color for anemones. Feed it well and keep the clowns away so it can recover. These anemone lose their host algea very quickly and get dyed to improve sale.

Check out this link to see a very bad good description! (SWF also admits its dyed)

Im not sure what vendor you got it from but it looks healthy just dyed. The vendor did not, i repeat did not dye the anemones.
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/Sebae-Anemone-Yellow_3134_63_4_4.html

reefernets,

I don't see purple tips on the picture. I've seen some online vendors market this anemone as carnation but give no species. Picture is similar to what Amit submitted. Some call it carnation, others call it strawberry anemone (don't know why since there are already 2 other nems called strawberry). It can vary from yellow to orange but almost always has yellow disc/foot. My best guess using online resources was a partially bleached out or dyed BTA. If it had the purple tip I would agree it was a sebae which is very common to have the bleached out look. In the absence of the tips, I think it's something else.

Only time will tell.

If its a carnation anemone, i don't think your clowns will host it. It is very badly bleached and the yellow color is receding from the mouth from being dyed.

Soak the food in selcon and see what happens, my best guess is that it turns tan with purple tips.

Good luck