• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need some help with return pump.

So i have this custom sump sitting under my stand. I also have a overflow(weir style) with 3/4 " bulkhead. to get the water out to the sump. Now the question is i have a 20 gallon with a custom 14 gallon sump. Now my question is would a mag 5 be good enough. Distance to the tank would be about 3.5 feet using i think 1/2 in pvc. If anyone with mag 5 could help out please let me know. Also the only thing i have used my mag 5 for was to mix SW in a 5 gallon plastic bucket so it's kinda noisy... is it quieter when in a sump with more volume?? (i don't know if that made sense but i hop it does).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A Mag 5 will push 500gph at the pump (with head loss to the tank it would probably be about 350). The standard single overflow can generally handle 600gph. You typically would want a Mag7 to handle a single overflow or something between a Mag 12 and Mag 18 to push 2 overflows. We ran a Mag 12 with a Mag 18 impleller (pushing about 1500gph at the pump) for our dual overflow 120.

well i checked out the rating on the 3/4 inch bulk head. It's rated at 300 gph. Could i put a ball valve inline to the sump to slow the flow?? or would the overflow over flow?? Kinda stinks cuz i already have a mag5. Anyone want to trade???

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The Mag 5 will be perfect. You're going to lose some head getting to the tank. Remember that the 500gph is at the pump, assuming 0 head, the 3-4' to the tank relieve some pressure as does the T you use to get it to the two sides of the tank, if that's the way you go. Every elbow, every turn.

malulu

NJRC Member
i myself like to use an ok return pump... and with good power heads inside the tank to create the neccessary current.