• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need some ID please

Hi guys,
I just bought some corals and after i acclimated them i noticed a few little hitchhikers left in the container i used... :-\ some were baby starfish, Brittle Starfish, i think. Also i found 2 red worm looking things to which i believe if my memory is right aren't good things to have... :'( Of course when i noticed these guys i grabbed the corals(a toadstool and torch) and used my syringe to try and get anything left in the rubble attached to the toad stool but nothing else came out besides some sand and junk though. So if i could get an id it'd be very appreciated

Thank you,

~Nick

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only thing I can see in your picture is that worm in the bottom of the photo with bristles….that’s a Bristle worm.  They are considered a problem…not so much when they are small.  I definitely would NOT put that little bugger back in the tank.

I don’t see any starfish in your photo.  I’m going to guess that your “baby starfish” is potentially an asterina starfish.  I'm guessing that because they are small little starfish...about a 1/4 inch or so. They are also considered a nuisance.  I have them in my tank and if I see too many, I pluck them out and throw them into the refugium.  Here’s a picture of an asterina starfish:

asterniastarfish.jpg

Thanks thats what i though it was, just couldn't think of what it was called... lol As for the starfish i know it's not a asterina starfish because it's very skinny legs, like a bristle worm. Here i tried to snap a picture. sorry for the bad photo's i was using my cell.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes thats a brittle star. A good thing. Eate detris.
I wouldn't be concerned with the bristle worm. They also eat any leftover foods. Unless they get too big from eating soo much.