• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 180

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
I am breaking down my current setup (a 65g, BioCube 14 and 10g Frag tank all plumbed together) and replacing it with a custom made 180 gallon. The separate tanks were too much of a headache. Every week was another issue, whether the overflow on the biocube/10g failing to different problems in the different tanks,

But now I find myself wondering what to do with all my fish until the new tank is ready for them. I want to start the new tank fresh and not import any of the old issues, but I'm not really keen on keeping two systems going at once for a few months.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
3 Black & White Ocerellis
1 Bullet Hole
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Coral Beauty
1 Kole Yellow Eye
1 Valentini Puffer
1 Snowflake Eeel
1 Royal Gramma
1 Melanurus Wrasse

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I am breaking down my current setup (a 65g, BioCube 14 and 10g Frag tank all plumbed together) and replacing it with a custom made 180 gallon. The separate tanks were too much of a headache. Every week was another issue, whether the overflow on the biocube/10g failing to different problems in the different tanks,

But now I find myself wondering what to do with all my fish until the new tank is ready for them. I want to start the new tank fresh and not import any of the old issues, but I'm not really keen on keeping two systems going at once for a few months.

I would get rid of the fish. The fish right now are
Very expensive. Fish that are healthy is a great way to start the new tank. I started my 220 and I add fish right away.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@amado trying to understand....Why should he get rid of the fish if fish are very expensive and is a great way to start a new system with healthy fish?

Are you using the same rock or getting new rock? Do you have space to cycle new rock in a trash can?

I’m in the process of braking down a 300 and setting up a 150. There’s going to be a few weeks overlap. Really shouldn’t be a reason to overlap for a few months unless your cycling dry rock and can’t start before the tank arrives.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
@amado trying to understand....Why should he get rid of the fish if fish are very expensive and is a great way to start a new system with healthy fish?

Thank you for catching that I wanted to say not to sell the fish. Sorry type o.

Healthy fish are valuable and he should definitely keep them.

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I actually bought my dwarf lionfish from Andy and all his fish looked very healthy. He wants to shutdown his system because the new tank will be going where his existing tanks are currently and he wants to house different fish this time around.all his tanks are plumbed together .he also doesn't have an exact time frame from his tank builder because of material delays and doesn't want to wait for the last minute. That's my take.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
I actually bought my dwarf lionfish from Andy and all his fish looked very healthy. He wants to shutdown his system because the new tank will be going where his existing tanks are currently and he wants to house different fish this time around.all his tanks are plumbed together .he also doesn't have an exact time frame from his tank builder because of material delays and doesn't want to wait for the last minute. That's my take.
Exactly this. Sorry for the delayed response everyone. Life got in the way.

I was getting a custom tank from Planet which is in Texas...

so I’m looking at sometime in April, hopefully.

I’m trying to keep the fish (except the predators) but having trouble convincing the wife to keep a 65 running somewhere else for a month or two. Just have to find the space.

Andy Aquariums

NJRC Member
Are you using the same rock or getting new rock? Do you have space to cycle new rock in a trash can?

I’m in the process of braking down a 300 and setting up a 150. There’s going to be a few weeks overlap. Really shouldn’t be a reason to overlap for a few months unless your cycling dry rock and can’t start before the tank arrives.
No, I am using new everything. I thought about reusing rock and water. But I don’t want to introduce any problems from this tank into the new one.

In preparation for the move, I used a dewormer to kill off Xenia that was taking over my rocks so I could put the rocks in the new tank without Xenia. It worked but it also lead to a huge Dino outbreak and all sorts of issues that took me 1.5 months to almost get rid of.

So now I’m of the view to just start new.

I would use trash can. The big ones in a corner as like a big qt
She probably think you will want to keep the system and with the cans that should not be a problem..
fish will be ok there...

Trash can with your existing live rock might be the way go then to temporarily house the fish. I’d probably wait until your new tank was in route or at least built so you didn’t have to house them in it for months if it’s delayed, I’ve kept fish temporarily in trash cans with rock for a few weeks without issues. I’d much rather bring the old rock over and manage this issues depending on what they are and just do a quick transition.

Trash can with your existing live rock might be the way go then to temporarily house the fish. I’d probably wait until your new tank was in route or at least built so you didn’t have to house them in it for months if it’s delayed, I’ve kept fish temporarily in trash cans with rock for a few weeks without issues. I’d much rather bring the old rock over and manage this issues depending on what they are and just do a quick transition.

+1 to Mike’s post
All the need it’s stable water they don’t care if you see them or not..