• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New 4 gallon Nano!

Hey guys, I dont have a specific question, I am kind of just looking for some hints and tips that will help me start out my new little project. Its an eclipse all in one kinda system.. I am not looking to do any corals or anything (lighting is horrible).. just a nice little peaceful invert tank or something.

So i set it up today, put in some new sand (washed it first), a few lbs of live rock, and warmed it up to temp.

I also added a piece of LR from my 90 gallon system, along with a scoop of sand.

I used about 2 gallons of water syphoned out of my system, and another 2 gallons that i freshly made.

With all that has been done (and its actually very clear, been running on the filter for 6 hours now).. how long until i start adding little critters?

Any stocking suggestions for a small invert nano also? Crabs and snails and shrimp.. im looking for some exotic looking stuff.. if its going to be small, at least it should look interesting =)

Thanks

Depending how much sand/rock you put in you might not even see a cycle... just test in a few days and go from there.

I'm thinking of setting up a 5g for a pompom/boxing crab... very neat little critters. I also think the little sexy shrimp are neat. Then there are mantis tanks or goby/shrimp goby pairs. I'm not sure how the lighting requirements of macros differ from FW plants but I know java moss etc grow like nuts in my small marineland tanks with the stock bulb... so maybe some macro in yours?

I am a firm believer in waiting at least 30 days for a cycle. You go and put some critters in there, what are they going to eat? There is nothing there. Or is there? I believe in patience and lots of it. Just my opinion. However, since you basically seeded this from your running tank at least wait 2 weeks to be sure.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to wait def.. i figured with the established live rock and established water, everything would be fine.. but better safe then sorry. As soon as i start stocking, ill try and post some pictures!

Shane

when i did my 5 gal with half of the water and lr from my tank and the other fresh made ro , i had corals and fish the same day and i had no problems with it snails came in 2 days later to thats my opinion other people wait longer , i couldnt wait ::).

i also added live rock and water from my 210g to make another tank setup..(125g).. and I never had any problems... I also couldn't wait..

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I used rock and water from my main system and some new sand. Threw it all together, called LiveAquaria and had fish, inverts and corals in it the next day. It's been over a year and I still have all of the fish and inverts. All of the coral I lost was due to overgrowth by other corals.

JME, others may vary.