• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New family member on the way

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
No, not that type. You think I’m crazy?
Already have 2.

This type...

Arrives on Jan 30.
Im pretty sure I should be able to keep it in the 30g.

And the Queenie thing isn’t cutting it...

image.jpg

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My wife also put in for adopting a mutt. I hope they pass her by. No yard and guess who will get stuck walking it late at night or in bad weather?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Argos...do you have some Greek blood in the family?

Nope, but before my love for Sci-Fi was my realization that the Iliad and The Odyssey are the greatest stories ever penned. I read the Odyssey in multiple translations and always swore that if I had a dog, it would be named 'Argos'.

From Argos (dog) - Wikipedia :

After ten years of fighting in Troy, followed by ten more years struggling to get home to Ithaca, Odysseus finally arrives at his homeland. In his absence, reckless suitors have taken over his house in hopes of marrying his wife Penelope. In order to secretly re-enter his house to ultimately spring a surprise attack on the suitors, Odysseus disguises himself as a beggar, and only his son Telemachus is told of his true identity. As Odysseus approaches his home, he finds Argos lying neglected on a pile of cow manure, infested with ticks, old and very tired.

This is a sharp contrast to the dog Odysseus left behind; Argos used to be known for his speed and strength and his superior tracking skills. Unlike everyone else, including Eumaios, a lifelong friend, Argos recognizes Odysseus at once and he has just enough strength to drop his ears and wag his tail but cannot get up to greet his master. Unable to greet his beloved dog, as this would betray who he really was, Odysseus passes by (but not without shedding a tear) and enters his hall, and Argos dies. The simplicity of the relationship between Argos and Odysseus allows their reunion to be immediate and sincere.[1]

The Odyssey was my favorite book for many years. Iliad never stuck.

Argos is an excellent name for a pup. Well done.

The Irish side of me compelled me to name our Goldens Casey and Riley. We also rescued a German Shepherd/Mastiff mix from Georgia last year. She’s Lainey, as Seinfeld was basically my parents’ existence growing up in Brooklyn.

Attachments

• 12EBB496-6AAC-45C3-8F6D-42410DDFD1AF.png
    12EBB496-6AAC-45C3-8F6D-42410DDFD1AF.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 2

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Beautiful dogs. Ours is coming up from Georgia as well, coincidentally. We went through 2 Hands 4 paws.
We very briefly contemplated the Irish Gaelic (Phelan (wolf)) if the kids despised Argos, but with a son Tiernan, and a daughter Aine (Anya), figured it might be mistaken for another child, and I would have called the dog Argos regardless.

I'm teetering on te outskirts on 'Batman', 'Bruce' (which also has Monty Python relevance), or 'Mr. Wayne', as the face pattern is almost identical to the 60's-70's series Bat-Signal.

If you skip the Catalog of Ships, which is like reading Moby Dick in itself, Iliad is a good, though insanely violent, read, but agreed it holds nothing on The Odyssey.
Gods, monsters, war, espionage, murder... if Homer's lineage collected intellectual royalties, even up to any of today's media, they'd own the Earth.

Last edited: