• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to reef keeping starting Oceanic Tech 70G

Hi All,

I'm somewhat new to reef keeping. I kept a 37G with 17G refugium with 2 fish 2 shrimps, 10 hermit crabs, snails, some Zoo's and Anemone to see If can handle it. 2 years later I think I'm ready to move into keeping a mix reef 70G. I'll be keeping some some old equipment from the 37. The new tank will also be bare bottom.

The old:
MJ900 mod (no complaints from me they're fairly quiet using the suction cups)
EuroReef RS-80
Mag7 Return Pump
30# LR
100GPD RO/DI (new filters)
20G being turned into a refugium/sump
diy ATO

The new:
Oceanic Tech 70G RR
Coralife Aqualight Pro 280W
2x Hydor KORALIA 4
Neptune Aqua Jr DC8, serial and temp probe
4" filter socks
in-line dual TDS meter
40# Kaelini Tonga
40# Fiji

temporary mobile homes
web.jpg

The new tank
web.jpg

web.jpg

This my oldest tank inhabitant
web.jpg

Krusty and Bozo's mobile home - soon to become the refugium
web.jpg

The snail is pretty old.

Yes I will have doors.

Here is the april update. The tank is now setup and doing well. My RO/DI's new 150GPD membrane is kicking butt, I get 2ppm from the membrane and 0ppm out the DI. Filled the tank in about half a day. I have about 90# of live rock in the display, 80# are new from Premium Aquatics and were cooking for about 3 week. The other 10# in the display and about 20# more in the sump/refugium were from my previous tank. The refugium is growing cheato.

For now its fish only with live rock and one rock with two colors of zoanthids, one is the plain drab brown the other is neon orange.

FTS no lights
web.jpg

FTS with 10K MH and 20K PC
web.jpg

Left side
web.jpg

Right side
web.jpg

Bozo
web.jpg

Nice tank ... I am saving my pennies/nickles/dimes for a Tech series tank. Quick question...are they pre drilled? I know the bottom glass isn't tempered but bit confused by it.
Thanks

Some nice frags, but don't rush things too much, your tank is still very new.

Goniopora is something you would have been better off passing up. Here is a good resource for Goniopora info. I'm not preaching against trying them out with the right conditions; but it is a coral with a dismal survival rate and not a good choice for a brand new mixed reef environment.

I don't mean to put a damper on your enthusiasm, and I know very few reefers take 5-6 months to cycle a tank like I did with my 75, but it is important to take you time and learn about the livestock you plan to keep before you acquire it.

Good luck!

BTW: I recently acquired a goni myself for my LPS tank which is over 2 years old. :)

blange,

Thanks for the tips. I did read about them but I'll have to make sure all my parameters are good. So far nothing major except for my accidental zooanthid sting on a torch. I'm going to keep it as as with nothing more to add until october.

EuroReef RS-80, its ok but I think because I run the skimmer almost 24x7 the pinwheel impeller is warped making it noisy.

As the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it so for now I haven't thought about replacing the skimmer until the noise gets worse.

Funny you say that cause i am an engineering student - and we usually say, "if it aint fixed, it just isnt working right" . . . lol. What is that controller you have on your stand? Looks something like a reef keeper-ish. I have a reef keeper 2.